|Population||8,555 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,172/km2 ( 3,035/sq mi)|
|Area||7.3 km2 (2.8 sq mi)|
|Location||4 km (2 mi) SW of Toowoomba|
|State electorate(s)||Toowoomba South|
The suburb was officially named in 1981, and is believed to honour George Harris (1831–1891), a Brisbane businessman. Originally in the Shire of Drayton, the suburb was first opened as the Harristown Estate in 1902, and in 1911, Harristown State School opened. From 1915 until 1993, the suburb had a functioning railway station on the Toowoomba–Wyreema line. After World War II, the area boomed.
Harristown has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 8 Panda Street: Smithfield House
- corner of South Street and Anzac Avenue: Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery
- 341-367 South Street: Harristown State High School Buildings
- 154 Stephen Street: Redlands
The suburb has four schools:
- Harristown State School (1911) - A public school catering for 350 students
- Harristown State High School (1955) - The largest secondary school on the Darling Downs with over 1500 students
- St Anthony's Catholic Primary School (1954)
- Concordia Lutheran College (1964) - Two of the three campuses of Concordia are located in Harristown, Primary College and Redlands College(secondary)
- Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery
- Milne Bay Museum
- Elders and Landmark Saleyards
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Harristown (Toowoomba City)(State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Harristown (entry 47965)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- Queensland Places: Harristown
- "Smithfield House (entry 600854)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery (entry 602718)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Harristown State High School (entry 650037)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Concordia College Administration Centre (entry 600869)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Department of Education. "Harristown State School". Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- St Anthony's Catholic Primary School. "St Anthony's Catholic Primary School". Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Concordia Lutheran College. "Welcome to Concordia College". Retrieved 10 August 2015.