Harrogate bus route 36
|Operator||Harrogate Bus Company|
|Vehicle||Volvo B5TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3|
Riding Redefined 36 is a bus service operated by Harrogate Bus Company. The service links Ripon and Harrogate with Leeds, operated by a fleet of high-specification double-deck Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 vehicles, branded in the red and black Riding Redefined livery.
The service is an example of a premium service characterised by more luxurious vehicles compared to those used on other commuter lines, which in combination with a high service frequency has significantly increased ridership and influenced the modal split in favour of public transport.
Trains on the Leeds to Northallerton Railway had provided the main service between Leeds and Ripon between 1848 and 1967, until passenger services were cut back to Harrogate, following the infamous Beeching cuts. Since then, Ripon has only been served by bus services, with Harrogate and Knaresborough being the nearest rail stations to the town.
The 36 was originally operated by the West Yorkshire Road Car Company from the mid 1960s, with the route running between Vicar Lane in Leeds and Ripon Railway Station. However, most journeys only operated between Leeds and Harrogate.
Route 36 began operating using a fleet of Leyland Lynxs. In the 1990s, they were replaced by a fleet of Wright Renown bodied Volvo B10BLEs and Alexander Royale bodied Volvo Olympians.
In October 2003, Harrogate & District relaunched route 36 with fourteen Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B7TLs with leather seats. The improvements lead to an increase in patronage by 18% in 2006 alone. In 2010, the fleet was refurbished and remodelled with a new livery and 2+1 seating on the upper deck.
- "36 - Ripon & Harrogate to Leeds". The Harrogate Bus Company. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- Plisner, P. (4 February 2005). "Posh bus". Bus and Coach Professional (97): 18–20.
- White, Peter (2011). "Discussion Paper: Equitable access: Remote and rural communities 'transport needs'" (PDF). International Transport Forum. doi:10.1787/5kg9mq4wlzkk-en.
- Jones, Stuart (26 January 2016). "Transdev Harrogate redefines the 36". Bus and Coach Buyer. Archived from the original on 5 September 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- Commuters lured by luxury bus BBC News 27 October 2003
- Route 36 Harrogate Bus Company Accessed 26 February 2017
- The Ten Percent Club (2006). Routes to revenue growth: the message from nine successful bus services. London: Local Transport Today Limited.
- The famous Yorkshire 36 set to be the finest bus Transdev 22 January 2016
- Transdev Harrogate redefines the 36 Bus & Coach Buyer 26 January 2016
- £3m touch of luxury for Harrogate-Leeds no 36 rock star of buses Harrogate Advertiser 29 January 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harrogate Bus Company 36.|