Harry Bradshaw (golfer)
|Full name||Harry Bradshaw|
9 October 1913|
Delgany, County Wicklow, Ireland
|Died||December 1990 (aged 77)|
|Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||2nd: 1949|
Bradshaw was born in Delgany, County Wicklow. He was the son of the Delgany professional golfer Ned Bradshaw and he and his three brothers Jimmy, Eddie and Hughie all became professional golfers. He represented Ireland in the Triangular Professional Tournament in 1937 and Llandudno International Golf Trophy in 1938. He won the Irish PGA Championship 10 times between 1941 and 1957, tied with Christy O'Connor Snr for most wins in that event. He was also the Irish Open champion in 1947 and 1949. He teamed with Christy O'Connor to win the Canada Cup for Ireland in Mexico in 1958, finishing second in the individual section of the event despite suffering nosebleeds due to the altitude. Bradshaw played in the Ryder Cup in 1953, 1955 and 1957. He was twice Dunlop Masters champion, in 1953 and 1955.
Bradshaw lost the 1949 The Open Championship following a playoff against Bobby Locke at Royal St George's, after an extraordinary incident in the second round when his drive at the 5th hole came to rest against broken glass from a beer bottle on the fairway. Rather than taking a drop (to which he would probably have been entitled) Bradshaw elected to play the ball as it lay, but was only able to move it slightly forward, dropping the shot. The setback resulted in his tying with Locke with an aggregate of 283, thereby equaling the championship record. However he lost the playoff to Locke. Arguably the incident with the bottle cost Bradshaw the tournament. He died in December 1990.
- 1941 Irish PGA Championship
- 1942 Irish PGA Championship
- 1943 Irish PGA Championship
- 1944 Irish PGA Championship
- 1947 Irish PGA Championship, Irish Open
- 1949 Irish Open
- 1950 Irish PGA Championship
- 1951 Irish PGA Championship
- 1953 Irish PGA Championship, Dunlop Masters
- 1954 Irish PGA Championship
- 1955 Dunlop Masters, Gleneagles-Saxone Foursomes Tournament (with Joe Carr)
- 1957 Irish PGA Championship
- 1958 PGA Close Championship
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||11||CUT||CUT||2|
|The Open Championship||16||15||T9||CUT||T12||T22||T43||T19||T24||T16|
|The Open Championship||DNP||T20||T30||CUT||CUT||CUT|
Bradshaw only played in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" = tied
Yellow background for top-10.
- Ryder Cup (representing Great Britain): 1953, 1955, 1957 (winners)
- Canada Cup (representing Ireland): 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958 (winners), 1959
- Triangular Professional Tournament (representing Ireland): 1937
- Llandudno International Golf Trophy (representing Ireland): 1938
- Joy Cup (representing the British Isles): 1954 (winners), 1955 (winners), 1956 (winners), 1958 (winners)
- Slazenger Trophy (representing Great Britain and Ireland): 1956 (winners)
- Amateurs–Professionals Match (representing the Professionals): 1956 (winners), 1957 (winners), 1958
- "Harry Bradshaw" The Times, 24 December 1990; pg. 10; Issue 63897.