Harry Joe Enten
March 1, 1988
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College|
|Known for||Senior political writer and analyst for FiveThirtyEight|
Senior writer and analyst for CNN Politics
|Relatives||Neil Sedaka (uncle)|
Harry Joe Enten (born March 1, 1988) is an American journalist best known for his former role as a senior political writer and analyst for the website FiveThirtyEight and his current job as a senior writer and analyst for CNN Politics. He was described by the Columbia Journalism Review as being of a new generation of political journalists, focusing on data-driven journalism instead of reporting from the campaign trail.
Early life and education
Enten was raised in a Jewish family in the Riverdale neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City. Harry was introduced to politics as a child when his father, a judge, took him into the polling booth to help pull the levers for elections. He attended Riverdale Country School. He is the nephew, by marriage, of singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka.
Enten graduated magna cum laude, and Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth College in 2011. Enten chose to attend Dartmouth at least partially due to New Hampshire's status as the first-in-the-nation primary.
Enten began publishing a blog called Margin of Error, and held an internship at NBC News Political Unit in Washington, D.C. Prior to working for FiveThirtyEight, Enten was a journalist for The Guardian.
Along with Carl Bialik and Walter Hickey, Enten was one of the first people Nate Silver hired when FiveThirtyEight relaunched under ESPN. He mostly wrote politics articles for FiveThirtyEight, but he occasionally wrote weather pieces. Enten was also one of the co-hosts of the FiveThirtyEight politics podcast, alongside host Jody Avirgan and fellow co-hosts Nate Silver and Clare Malone.
He announced on February 5, 2018 that he was leaving FiveThirtyEight to join CNN's Politics team as a senior political writer and analyst.
The Forecast Fest
- Enten, Harry. "Harry Enten - Twitter Profile". Twitter. Retrieved August 26, 2020.
- "Everything You Need To Know About Fivethirtyeight's Harry Enten". Buzzfeed. January 30, 2017. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- "Harry Enten". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Harry Enten - Senior Writer and Analyst, CNN Politics". CNN. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Vernon, Pete (October 5, 2016). "FiveThirtyEight's 'Whiz Kid' Harry Enten represents the new generation of political journalist". Columbia Journalism Review. Archived from the original on June 2, 2017.
- Enten, Harry J. (September 26, 2012). "Why I'm not on Twitter for Yom Kippur". The Guardian.
- "Unorthodox Live With FiveThirtyEight's Harry Enten and 'How to Be a Muslim' Author Haroon Moghul". Tablet Magazine. October 19, 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
Our Jew of the week is Harry Enten, senior political writer and analyst for FiveThirtyEight and a regular on the FiveThirtyEight Politics Podcast
- Platt, Bill. "How Harry Enten '11 Became FiveThirtyEight's 'Whiz Kid'". Dartmouth News. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Colomer, Josep M., ed. (2013). Personal Representation: The Neglected Dimension of Electoral Systems. ECPR Press. ISBN 9781907301575.
- Enten, Harry Joe. "Margin of Error". Blogspot. Archived from the original on June 2, 2017.
I am a graduate of Hanover, NH. I graduated with a degree in government summa cum laude with a concentration in statistics and elections. I have previously interned at the NBC Political Unit in Washington D.C. (Spring 2009) & Pollster.com (spring and summer 2010).
- Bhuiyan, Johana (November 13, 2013). "Guardian writer and number-cruncher Harry Enten goes to work for Nate Silver". Politico. Archived from the original on June 2, 2017.
- "Politics Podcast – FiveThirtyEight". fivethirtyeight.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Kate Bolduan; Harry Enten; John Avalon. "The Forecast Fest on stitcher". CNN.