Harry Harvey Sr.
|Harry Harvey Sr.|
January 10, 1901|
Indian Territory, U.S.
|Died||November 27, 1985
Sylmar, Los Angeles
|Resting place||Pierce Brothers Valhalla Memorial Park in North Hollywood, California|
|Occupation||Actor of stage, film, and television|
|Spouse(s)||Mabel Mason Harvey|
Actor Harry Harvey, Jr. (1929–1978)
Born in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, Harvey appeared in vaudeville and the Broadway stage but is best remembered as a character actor who appeared in more than three hundred films and episodes of television series. He co-starred in The Oregon Trail (1936), with John Wayne, Old Overland Trail (1953), Wyoming Renegades (1954), Ride Beyond Vengeance (1966) with Chuck Connors, and many other westerns.
Harvey was cast from 1951 to 1957 in the role of Sheriff Tom Blodgett in fifty-three episodes of The Roy Rogers Show. He played Mayor George Dixon of fictitious Yellowstone in twenty-one episodes from 1957 to 1959 of the syndicated western series, Man Without a Gun. He was cast in different roles in eleven episodes of The Lone Ranger from 1949 to 1955. In 1962, he appeared on the short-lived NBC drama series, It's a Man's World as the recurring character, Houghton Stott, owner of Stott's Service Station.
In the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, he guest-starred in such series as Branded, Lassie, Hazel, The Wild Wild West, Mannix, Alias Smith and Jones, Bonanza, and Columbo. His last appearance was in Adam-12 (1974) with Martin Milner.
Harvey was out on the road as a trombone player at age 17, was a boxer, performed in Vaudville with his wife Mabel Mason Harvey on bills with Harry Houdini, and was an avid Dodger fan. Harvey outlived his son, Harry Harvey Jr. (1929–1978), by some seven years. He and his son are interred at Pierce Brothers Valhalla Memorial Park in North Hollywood, California.
- 1932 Destry Rides Again
- 1935 Manhattan Moon
- 1936 The Oregon Trail
- 1937 High Hat
- 1938 Here's Flash Casey
- 1938 King of the Sierras
- 1938 Six Shootin' Sheriff
- 1939 Lone Star Pioneers
- 1940 Phantom Rancher
- 1940 Texas Renegades
- 1940 Deadwood Dick
- 1942 The Pride of the Yankees
- 1943 Return of the Rangers
- 1944 Gangsters of the Frontier
- 1946 Step by Step
- 1946 Badman's Territory
- 1948 The Arizona Ranger
- 1948 They Live by Night
- 1949 Death Valley Gunfighter
- 1949 I Cheated the Law
- 1950 Cow Town
- 1950 Unmasked
- 1951 Whirlwind
- 1951 The Roy Rogers Show -TV series
- 1952 High Noon
- 1951 Arizona Manhunt
- 1952 The Duel at Silver Creek
- 1952 Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair (uncredited)
- 1953 Old Overland Trail
- 1957 Man Without a Gun -TV series
- 1962 It's a Man's World -TV series
- 1964 Disneyland
- 1965 Cat Ballou
- 1966 Ride Beyond Vengeance
- 1966 Petticoat Junction - TV series (episode: Better Never Than Late, as Mr. Billings)
- 1969 The Ballad of Andy Crocker -TV film
- 1970 Airport
- 1974 Adam-12
- "Harry Harvey Sr.". findagrave.com. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- King of the Cowboys, Queen of the West: Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, by Raymond E. White
- The American Film Institute catalog of motion ..., Vol 1, Par 1, by American Film Institute.