Harry Shannon (actor)
Harry Shannon in 1950
June 13, 1890|
Saginaw, Michigan, U.S.
|Died||July 27, 1964
Hollywood, California, U.S.
Harry Shannon (June 13, 1890 – July 27, 1964) was an American character actor. He often appeared in Western films.
Harry Shannon was born on a farm in Saginaw, Michigan. He began his career in live theatre and vaudeville, and switched to the film industry in the 1930s. Although he played most frequently in Westerns, his best-known film role was perhaps as Charles Foster Kane's rough father in Citizen Kane (1941). Among his other films were Someone to Remember (1943), Alaska Highway (1943), San Quentin (1946), and Witness to Murder (1954).
In 1960, he was cast as the outlaw Clay Hooper in the episode "Showdown at Goldtown" of the ABC/Warner Brothers western television series, Colt .45. The guest cast included Robert Colbert, Ruta Lee, and Dan Sheridan.
- Young Tom Edison (1940) - Army Captain Brackett
- Citizen Kane (1941) - Kane's Father
- Hold Back the Dawn (1941) - American Immigration Official (uncredited)
- This Gun for Hire (1942)
- Doughboys in Ireland (1943)
- Time Out of Mind (1947)
- Hunt the Man Down (1950)
- Tarnished (1950)
- High Noon (1952) - Cooper
- Roar of the Crowd (1953)
- Phantom Stallion (1954)
- Executive Suite (1954)
- The Violent Men (1955) - Purdue
- Not as a Stranger (1955) - Ed - 67 Year Old Patient (uncredited)
- The Tall Men (1955) - Sam
- The Marauders (1955) - John Rutherford
- At Gunpoint (1955) - Marshal MacKay
- Come Next Spring (1956) - Mr. Totter
- The Peacemaker (1956) - Drunken Cowpuncher
- Written on the Wind (1956) - Hoak Wayne
- Duel at Apache Wells (1957) - Wayne Shattuck
- Hell's Crossroads (1957) - Clay Ford
- The Lonely Man (1957) - Dr. Fisher
- The Travellers (1957)
- Touch of Evil (1958) - Chief Gould
- Man or Gun (1958) - Justin Corley
- The Buccaneer (1958) - Tom Carruthers - Captain of the Corinthian
- Yellowstone Kelly (1959) - Captain of the Far West (uncredited)
- Wild in the Country (1961) - Sam Tyler (uncredited)
- Gypsy (1962) - Grandpa
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harry Shannon (actor).|
|This article about a United States film and television actor or actress born in the 1890s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|