|46th Mayor of Anaheim|
December 4, 2018 – May 24, 2022
|Preceded by||Tom Tait|
|Succeeded by||Ashleigh Aitken|
|Mayor Pro Tem of Anaheim|
January 12, 2010 – December 11, 2012
|Preceded by||Bob Hernandez|
|Succeeded by||Gail E. Eastman|
|Member of the Anaheim City Council|
for the At Large district
December 7, 2004 – December 11, 2012
|Preceded by||Tom Tait|
|Succeeded by||Lucille Kring|
|Born||July 8, 1957|
|Education||Drexel University (BS)|
Harry S. Sidhu (born July 8, 1957) is an American Republican politician and businessman who served as the 46th mayor of Anaheim, California, winning the office in the 2018 election. He was the first person of color and the first Sikh to serve as mayor of Anaheim. He is a former member of the Anaheim City Council and the former Mayor pro tempore of Anaheim.
In May 2022, a court filing revealed that he is under investigation by the FBI for possible corruption involving the sale of Angel Stadium, and the Anaheim City Council unanimously requested that he resign his position as mayor. On May 23, 2022, Sidhu resigned as mayor, effective the following day.
Education and early career
Sidhu earned a degree in mechanical engineering from Drexel University. He became a U.S. citizen in 1979 and worked as a consulting engineer.
Sidhu served as director of the Orange County Water District Board. He also serves on the board of Friends of United States, an organization that promotes India–United States relations.
This section is missing information about his actual mayoral career, not just investigations.(May 2022)
Per an affidavit by FBI Special Agent Brian Adkins, Sidhu is under investigation for having violated numerous federal statutes. These potential violations include: honest services fraud, theft or bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds, wire fraud, mail fraud, false statements, obstruction of justice, and witness tampering. The release of this information prompted the State of California Attorney General Rob Bonta to suspend a pending settlement with the City of Anaheim regarding the Angel Stadium sale.
On May 16, 2022, a court filing by the California Superior Court, County of Orange, stated that Sidhu is under investigation by the FBI and an Orange County Grand Jury for potential criminal conduct related to the sale of the Angel Stadium property, and for his actions related to the registering of a personal aircraft at a false out-of-state address. The sale of Angel Stadium and its land for $320 million to the Anaheim Angels is alleged to have violated state law, specifically the Surplus Land Act, which requires public agencies to prioritize affordable housing, parks, and open space when they sell public property. Furthermore, it is alleged that he provided confidential information to the Angels, and hoped to solicit $1 million in campaign contributions from the team.
|Richard "Dick" Larochelle||10,421||7.9|
|George Charles Johnson||7,243||5.5|
|Robert J. Flores||5,068||3.8|
|John R. Karczynski||2,206||1.7|
|Rubin Jamison Skipper||1,807||1.4|
|Harry Sidhu (incumbent)||32,652||23.2|
|Lorri Galloway (incumbent)||31,694||22.6|
|Kostas "Gus" Roditis||10,160||7.2|
|Robert J. Flores||7,148||5.1|
|H. Fuji Shioura||3,024||3.7%|
|Tony D. Martin||1,199||1.5%|
- ^ "Harry Sidhu's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- ^ "Harry Sidhu is ahead in Anaheim mayor's race, and resort worker wage measure has the lead". The New Indian Express. November 9, 2018. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- ^ Robinson, Alicia (May 19, 2022). "Anaheim council members ask mayor to step down". Orange County Register. Retrieved May 20, 2022.
- ^ "Anaheim mayor resigns amid corruption probe into his role in Angel Stadium land sale". Los Angeles Times. May 23, 2022. Retrieved May 23, 2022.
- ^ a b "Full Biography for Harry Sidhu". SmartVoter. November 2, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- ^ Cunningham, Matthew (July 6, 2017). "Anaheim: Harry Sidhu Opens Mayoral Campaign Committee". OC Daily. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- ^ Robinson, Alicia (November 8, 2018). "Harry Sidhu is ahead in Anaheim mayor's race, and resort worker wage measure has the lead". Orange County Register. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- ^ "Friend of United States".
- ^ "Ex parte application for Order" (PDF).
- ^ "State attorney general asks for hold on Angel Stadium land sale amid corruption probe". Los Angeles Times. May 16, 2022. Retrieved May 16, 2022.
- ^ "Feds Investigation Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu Over Angel Stadium Sale". Orange County Register. May 16, 2022. Retrieved May 16, 2022.
- ^ "Secret retreats and a powerful 'cabal': Corruption probe reveals who really runs Anaheim". Los Angeles Times. May 19, 2022. Retrieved May 19, 2022.
- ^ a b "Election Results Archives". Orange County Registrar of Voters. Retrieved September 26, 2020.
- ^ "Orange County 2018 General Election November 6, 2018 Official Results for Election". Orange County. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- 1957 births
- 21st-century American politicians
- American politicians of Indian descent
- American mayors of Indian descent
- California politicians of Indian descent
- American businesspeople
- American engineers
- American Sikhs
- California city council members
- California Republicans
- Drexel University alumni
- Living people
- Mayors of Anaheim, California
- Indian emigrants to the United States
- Asian conservatism in the United States