Harry Stine (businessman)
|Born||1941/1942 (age 79–80)|
|Alma mater||McPherson College|
|Occupation||Farmer and seedsman|
|Known for||Founder and owner of Stine Seed|
Owner of International Oilseed Distributors, Inc.
Harry H. Stine (born 1941/1942) is an American billionaire businessman, the founder and owner of Stine Seed.
Family and early life
He is the son of Bill and Roselba Stine. In 1871, his great-grandparents, William and Sarah Stine arrived in Adel, Iowa from Pennsylvania, and establish a 160-acre farm there. In 1894, his grandfather Ira Cloyd Stine married Lydia Sheaffer and they had had four children, all sons. Everyone worked for I.C Stine and Sons until after World War II. In 1934, Bill and Roselba Stine moved to the 200-acre farm that would become Stine Seed Farm, which was founded in the 1950s.
In 2018, he was listed as the wealthiest in Iowa with a net worth of $3.2 billion by Forbes. In 2019, he increased his fortune by $1.8 billion to $5 billion ranking him the richest Iowan and #131 richest in the United States by Forbes. In 2020, his net worth was estimated at $5.7 billion ranking him the richest Iowan and #484 richest in the world by Forbes.
- "Forbes profile: Harry Stine". Forbes. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- Begemann, Sonja (July 3, 2019). Meet Harry Stine, Father of the Modern Soybean. Farm Journal magazine. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- "History". stineseed. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- "Stine - 30 Years of Performance Seed - The Early Years". Nxtbook.com. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- Copeland, Dave (October 24, 2018). The Richest Person in Every State (see slide #15 of 50). Work+Money website. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Jett, Tyler (October 2, 2019). Iowan climbs higher on list of the richest Americans. The Des Moines Register. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- WHO TV staff (August 1, 2014). Map Reveals Wealthiest Person in Each State . WHO TV. Des Moines, Iowa. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Patane, Matthew (May 25, 2016). And the richest man in Iowa is .... The Des Moines Register. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Lee, Allen (September 1, 2020). Who Is The Richest Person in Iowa? moneyinc.com website. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- lovemoney staff (July 17, 2020). The richest family in every state: Iowa: the Stine family – $3.8 billion (see slide #16). MSN news. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Morrell, Alex (April 14, 2014). Can This Man Feed the World? Billionaire Harry Stine's Quest to Reinvent Agriculture -- Again. Forbes. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Hardy, Kevin (May 21, 2018). The richest person in Iowa is a self-made billionaire. The Des Moines Register. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Harry Stine. Forbes. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Jett, Tyler (July 20, 2020). Iowa's richest man, lawyers and private schools land Paycheck Protection Program funds. The Des Moines Register. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- Green, Joshua (February 14, 2019). The Only Billionaire In Iowa Thinks Elizabeth Warren Makes Some Sense: Harry Stine, founder of Stine Seed Co, is a registered Republican but no fan of Trump’s. Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved September 5, 2020.