Zolnierczyk with the Pittsburgh Penguins in December 2013
September 1, 1987 |
Toronto, ON, CAN
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||175 lb (79 kg; 12 st 7 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
|New York Islanders
Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL)
Harrison Zolnierczyk (born September 1, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey left winger currently playing for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Zolnierczyk was never drafted into the NHL but has previously played for the Philadelphia Flyers and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Prior to turning professional, Zolnierczyk attended Brown University where he played four ice hockey seasons with the Brown Bears, which competes in NCAA's Division I in the ECAC Hockey conference. In his senior season with Brown, Zolnierczyk was named team captain, replacing graduating captain Aaron Volpatti. After scoring 31 points, including a career-high 16 goals, Zolnierczyk was named Ivy League Player of the Year.
On March 8, 2011, Zolnierczyk signed a one-year, $900,000 entry-level contract with the Philadelphia Flyers to take effect at the outset of the 2011–12 season. Less than a week later, he signed an amateur tryout contract with the Flyers' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms. In sixteen games with the Phantoms, Zolnierczyk finished the 2010–11 season with three goals, two assists, and 37 penalty in minutes.
After being cut by the Flyers on October 4, 2011, following his first NHL training camp and pre-season, Zolnierczyk was assigned to the Phantoms to begin his first full professional ice hockey season. On October 18, 2011, the Flyers re-called Zolnierczyk to replace injured forward Andreas Nödl in a game against the Ottawa Senators. In the first game of his NHL career, he scored his first NHL goal with 45 seconds remaining in the third period against Senators' goaltender Craig Anderson. On March 3, 2013, the league suspended him for four games for charging Mike Lundin during the game.
On April 1, 2013, Zolnierczyk was traded to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for enforcer Jay Rosehill. Two months later on June 24, 2013, the Ducks traded him to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenceman Alex Grant. On July 12, 2013, the Penguins signed him to a one-year, two-way contract, worth $550,000.
On July 1, 2014, Zolnierczyk left the Penguins and agreed to a one-year two-way free agent contract with the New York Islanders. He was assigned to their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, after clearing waivers. Later on in the Islanders' 2014–15 season, he was recalled to the team along with Colin McDonald after injuries sidelined forwards Michael Grabner and Cal Clutterbuck, but was returned to the Sound Tigers after two games.
In November 2006, Zolnierczyk and his Alberni Valley Bulldogs teammate Brad Harding secretly used a webcam to record Harding having consensual sex with a 17 year-old girl. Zolnierczyk later showed the video to a number of friends and teammates. In 2008, he pled guilty to two counts of electronic voyeurism and received a conditional discharge, leaving him with no criminal record after three years.
|2005–06||Alberni Valley Bulldogs||BCHL||53||9||13||22||40||6||1||3||4||10|
|2006–07||Alberni Valley Bulldogs||BCHL||47||20||18||38||85||5||3||2||5||10|
Awards and achievements
|ECAC Hockey All-Academic Team||2009|
|Ivy League Player of the Year||2011|
- "Zolnierczyk named 2010-2011 men's hockey captain; Brownschidle, MacLellan, & Russell named assistant captains". Brown Bears. April 22, 2010. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- McCoy, Ethan (March 4, 2011). "Zolnierczyk ’11 named men's hockey Ivy League Player of the Year". The Brown Daily Herald. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Around the NHL: Flyers sign Brown captain". Fox News Channel. March 8, 2011. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Harry Zolnierczyk". CapGeek. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Zolnierczyk Signs ATO with Phantoms". Adirondack Phantoms. March 14, 2011. Archived from the original on April 24, 2013. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Carchidi, Sam (October 5, 2011). "Flyers send Schenn to minors, waive role players". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Panaccio, Tim (October 18, 2011). "Flyers' call up Zolnierczyk to debut; Bob to start". Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Nicks, Erin (October 18, 2011). "Flyers rout struggling Senators 7-2". National Hockey League. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Flyers' Zolnierczyk suspended four games". National Hockey League. March 3, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- SanFilippo, Anthony (April 1, 2013). "Harry Z traded for Rosehill". National Hockey League. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Ducks acquire Alex Grant from Penguins". National Hockey League. June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Penguins re-sign forward Zolnierczyk". National Hockey League. July 12, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Islanders sign three to two-way deals". National Hockey League. July 1, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "October Transactions". National Hockey League. October 23, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Islanders hang on for 3-2 win over Sabres". USA Today. February 8, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Transaction History". Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Morrow, Shane (June 7, 2008). "Former Bulldog is sentenced on porn charges". Alberni Valley Times. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Morrow, Shane (April 18, 2008). "Zolnierczyk gives guilty plea". Alberni Valley Times. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "Vancouver Island hockey star sentenced on voyeurism charges". CBC News. June 6, 2008. Retrieved November 23, 2014.