16 December 1986|
Harshdeep Kaur (born 16 December 1986) is an Indian Playback singer known for her Bollywood Hindi, Punjabi and Sufi songs. She is popularly known as "Sufi Ki Sultana" because of her soulful Sufi renditions. After winning the titles in two talent reality shows, Kaur established herself as a lead singer in Bollywood soundtracks. She was only 16 years old when her first ever Bollywood song "Sajna Mai Haari" released.
She has recorded songs for film music in various Indian languages, such as Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Gujrati, Bengali and many more, and has established herself as a leading playback singer of Indian cinema.She has worked with some of the leading music directors(including A R Rahman, Pritam Chakraborty, Vishal-Shekhar, Salim Sulaiman, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, Amit Trivedi, Shantanu Moitra, Tanishk Bagchi, Himesh Reshammiya, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Sohail Sen.. She's one of the very few Indian singers to have sung for a Hollywood movie. Her track R.I.P. composed by AR Rahman was a part of Oscar winner director Danny Boyle's film 127 Hours.
Katiya Karun from Rockstar, Heer from Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Ik Onkar from Rang De Basanti, Zaalima from Raees, Nachde Ne Saare from Baar Baar Dekho, Bari Barsi from Band Baaja Baaraat, Kabira from Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani, Jugni ji from Cocktail, Twist Kamariya from Bareilly ki Barfi and Dilbaro from Raazi are some of her superhit songs.
Harshdeep Kaur was born on 16 December in a Sikh family in Delhi and inherited music from her father, Savinder Singh, who owns a factory of musical instruments. She attended Springdales School in New Delhi. Apart from studying, she started learning music at the age of six. She learnt Indian classical music from Mr. Tejpal Singh, popularly known as the Singh Brothers, and Western classical music from George Pullinkala, Delhi Music Theatre. Later, at the age of twelve, to explore the world of music, she joined the Delhi School of Music to learn piano.
Sufi Ki Sultana
Kaur won the singing competition Junoon – Kuch Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine in September 2008. She competed from the Sufi Ki Sultan genre with Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan as her mentor. She was declared the Sufi Ki Sultana by Amitabh Bachchan who was the chief guest in the Grand Finale.
The show was a competition amongst three genres – Sufi, Folk and Bollywood. Singers from India and Pakistan participated in the show. Kaur wore a unique Sufi attire, especially while performing Sufi songs and that has become a part of her identity.
- Harshdeep is the only singer who has appeared on all four seasons of Coke Studio (India) on MTV :
Season 1 – Hoo (Music recreated by Leslie Lewis) Season 2 – Nirmohiya (Music by Amit Trivedi) & Hey Ri (Music by Hitesh Sonik) Season 3 – Dinae Dinae with Papon Season 4 - Teriyan Tu Jaane (Amit Trivedi)
- Harshdeep Kaur featured on MTV Ray Ban Never Hide Sounds as a Mentor for young and upcoming bands in the Sufi Genre. She mentored the Sufi-Rock Band 'Nasya' in first season & the band "JIHAANA" in second season and performed at Hard Rock Cafe and similar venues across the country.
- Bani Ishq Da Kalma
This will probably be the first time on TV that a singer has appeared in the middle of the narrative and taken the story forward.[original research?] She has sung the theme song of this daily soap. The song is a Sufi Song called "Saaiyaan" .It is not just a song, but a story of a girl that she is narrating in verses throughout the show.
- Featured on "The Jam Room" for Sony Mix in 2015.
- MTV Unplugged:Aaj din Chadeya with Pritam
- Special performance at the GIMA awards in 2016.
- Opening ceremony of IPL in 2017.
- Judged the reality show HDFC Life Youngsters Season II on Voot
- Special Sufi performance at the Radio Mirchi Music Awards 2017
Awards & Nominations
Kaur is the first female to win two reality show titles.
- Winner of MTV Video GaGa Contest 2001
- Kateya Karoon (Rockstar) nominated for Filmfare Awards, Zee Cine Awards, IIFA Awards, BIG Awards in 2012
- Winner of NDTV Imagine's JUNOON Kuchh Kar Dikhane Ka in 2008
- Balley Balley (Bin Roye) nominated for Lux Style Awards in 2016
- Winner of Aao Jhoomein Gaayein (SAB TV)
- Winner of SAREGAMA Punjabi (Alpha TV)
- RUBARU album nominated for the Popular Non-Film Music Category in GIMA Awards 2010
- Winner of Best Playback Singer at Mirchi Music Awards for "Lori" from the film Punjab 1984
- Winner of PTC Film awards for Best Playback singer – Lori from Punjab 1984.
- Nominated for Mirchi Music Award for Female Vocalist of The Year for "Katiya Karun" from Rockstar in 2011
- Winner of Mirchi Top 20 Gold Disc Award for Zaalima
- Zaalima nominated for Best Song at Zee Cine Awards 2018
Concerts & Tours
Harshdeep Kaur has headlined many prestigious concerts and music festivals all over the globe.
- AR Rahman's Journey Home World Tour, all over USA, Canada, UK, South Africa, & Singapore, 2010
- In April 2013 she headlined the prestigious Southbank Centre Music Festival in London, alongside Soul/Bollywood singer Ash King.
- In August 2013, she headlined the prestigious Mosaic Festival held in Mississauga, Canada.
- In September 2013 she performed at the London Mela in Gunnersbury Park.
- Mosaic Festival, Mississauga, 2013
- BBC London Mela, 2013
- AAS Concert at Purana Qila with Attaullah Khan, 2014
- MTV Unplugged Concert with Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan, 2014
- Live in Concert with Pritam at Wembley Arena,London, Dubai & Singapore
- Infinite Love Concerts with AR Rahman in Singapore and Malaysia, 2014
- Performed with her band at the Stardust Concert held at the Royal Festival Hall in London in September 2015
- Performed at the prestigious Heart of Asia Conference held in Amritsar in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other Asian leaders in 2016
- Hazaaron Khwahishein Aisi with Shekhar Ravjiani at The Esplanade in Singapore in September 2016
- First Indian singer to become headliner at the prestigious Manchester International Festival in June 2017.
- Headlined "Sounds Of Sufi" Concert at the Esplanade in Singapore in November 2017
- Leading performers of the AR Rahman Encore tour in India 2017
- Her Solo UK tour in March 2018 was a huge success and garnered a lot of appreciation from the music industry and her fans.
- She has performed with the Legendary Punjabi singer "Gurdas Mann" in 2015 & 2018 in New Delhi.
- She was the leading performer on Pritam's First ever North American Tour in April 2018.
- She was the opening singer at Bryan Adams' Mumbai tour on 12 October 2018. 
|2018||"Happy Bhag Jayegi"||"Happy Phirr Bhag Jayegi"|
|"Grey Wala Shade"||"Manmarziyaan"|
|"Jaisi Teri Marzi"|
|"Rab Raakha"||"Lashtam Pashtam"|
|"Soul of Hichki"|
|"Chamba Kitni Duur"||"Single"|
|"Chhalla/Ni Mai Kamli"||"TSeries Mixtape Punjabi"|
|2017||"Twist Kamariya"||"Bareilly Ki Barfi"|
|"Satnam Waheguru Ji"||"Guru Nanak Jayanti Special"|
|"Ehna Akhiyaan/ Yaar Mangeya Si"||"TSeries Mixtape"|
|"Dil Di Reejh"||Punjabi Single|
|"Lovers Quest Medley 5"||Collaboration with Sarmad Qadeer|
|"Hawa Badlo Anthem"||Campaign against air pollution|
|"Tere Lams Ne"||Flat 211|
|"Zaalima"||Raees||Winner of Mirchi Top 20 Gold Disc Award for Zaalima
Nominated for Best Song at Zee Cine Awards
|"Waho Waho Gobind Singh"||350th Birth Anniversary Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji|
|2016||Guru Gobind Singh Ji||350th Birth Anniversary Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji|
|"Aaj Din Chadeya||"MTV Unplugged with Pritam"|
|"Ek Shringaar Swabhimaan"||Ek Shringaar Swabhimaan||Colors Serial|
|"Joban Madhuban"||100 days||Marathi TV Show|
|"Mai Ri Mai"||Parched|
|"Nachde Ne Saare"||Baar Baar Dekho|
|"Happy Oye"||Happy Bhag Jayegi|
|"School ki Ghanti"||Educate the Girl Child Anthem for Nestle|
|"Wali Allah"||"Strumm Sufi Album"|
|"Lori"||"Punjab 2016"||Winner of Best Playback Singer at Mirchi Music Awards |
Winner of PTC Film awards for Best Playback singer ||
|"Rabb De Bande"||"31st October"|
|"Mere Vich Teri"||"Saadey CM Saab"|
|"Nanak Naam Mile"||"Shabad"|
|"Saaun Da Mahina"||"Tribute to Jagjit Singh"|
|2015||"Jalte Diye"||Prem Ratan Dhan Payo|
|"Nanak di Soch"||Single "Save the Girl child"|
|"Balle Balle"||Bin Roye||Pakistani film|
Nominated–Lux Style Award for Best Female Singer
|"Jutti Kasuri"||Single Punjabi Folk|
|"Ni Adugu"||Pora Pove|
|"Rabb Meri Umar (Lori)"||Punjab 1984|
|"Saanu te aisa Maahi"||Dil Vil Pyaar Vyaar|
|"Nenje Nenje"||Ennathan Pesuvatho|
|2013||"Ye Jo Subha Ka Ik Sitara Hai"||Muhabbat Subha Ka Sitara Hai||Pakistani TV series on Hum TV|
Nominated –Hum Award for Best Original Soundtrack
|"Mere Bina Tu (Duet)"||Phata Poster Nikla Hero|
|"Saaiyaan"||Bani – Ishq Da Kalma||TV Series on Colors TV|
Indian Television Award for Best SInger Female
|"Kabira (Encore)"||Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani|
|"Jhalkiyan (Reprise)"||Kaafiron Ki Namaaz|
|2012||"Luv Shuv Te Chicken Khurana"||Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana|
|"Luni Hasi (Female version)"|
|"Tu Hoor Pari"||Khiladi 786|
|"Heer"||Jab Tak Hai Jaan|
|"Soni Lagdee"||Cinema Company||Malayalam film|
|2011||"Katiya Karoon"||Rockstar||Nominated–Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer |
Nominated–IIFA Award for Best Female Playback
|"Jhak Maar Ke"||Desi Boyz|
|2010||"Sajde (Remix)"||Khatta Meetha|
|"Baari Barsi"||Band Baaja Baaraat|
|"Chand Ki Katori"||Guzaarish|
|"Woh Lamha Phir Se Jeena Hai"||Kajraare ||
|"Barse Channel Divya Theme Song 1"||Channel Divya|
|"Is Pal Ki Soch"||Halla Bol|
|"Dil Ne Ye Na Jaana"||Red: The Dark Side|
|2006||"Ik Onkar"||Rang De Basanti|
|"Udne Do"||Taxi 9211|
|"Sajna Main Haari"||Aapko Pehle Bhi Kahin Dekha Hai|
- "Harshdeep Kaur on timesofindia". timesofindia. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "Economictimes Harshdeep Kaur". economictimes. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Raees song Zaalima: Shah Rukh Khan is the king of romance, period. Watch video". The Indian Express. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Bolly Spice, "Rockstar Music Review" by Rumnique Nannar, Posted on 6 October 2011. http://bollyspice.com/30022/rockstar-music-review
- Harshdeep Kaur on IMDb
- Speech at GIIS, Singapore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3S53qgyl84
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harshdeep Kaur.|