Harsimrat Kaur Badal
|Harsimrat Kaur Badal|
|Minister for Food Processing Industries|
26 May 2014
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi|
|Member of Parliament|
|Preceded by||Paramjit Gulshan|
25 July 1966 |
|Political party||Shiromani Akali Dal|
|Spouse(s)||Sukhbir Singh Badal|
Harsimrat Kaur Badal (born 25 July 1966, née Majithia) is the Union Cabinet Minister of Food Processing in the Government of India and member of parliament from Bathinda. She is a member of Shiromani Akali Dal. Her husband Sukhbir Singh Badal was the deputy chief minister of Punjab and the president of Shiromani Akali Dal.
Harsimrat was born on 25 July 1966 to Satyajit and Sukhmanjus Majithia in Delhi. She is a matriculate and holds a diploma in textile design. She got married to Sukhbir Singh Badal on 21 November 1991,. The couple have 2 daughters and a son. Her brother Bikram Singh Majithia is a Akali MLA from Majitha and a minister in the Punjab state government led by her father-in-law Parkash Singh Badal.
Early life and education
She is born into a family that traces its roots to Attar Singh Majithia, a prominent general in Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s army. Born and bred in New Delhi, Harsimrat Kaur Badal did her schooling from Loreto convent school, New Delhi. Harsimrat later entered into the field of textile designing and pursued a three-year course in textile design.
Harsimrat started her political career with the Indian general election, 2009. She was elected to the 15th Lok Sabha from the Bhatinda constituency after defeating Indian National Congress candidate Raninder Singh by 120960 votes. Her first speech was on 3 December 2009, where she expressed her concern about the victims and survivors of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. She was part of a project named "Nanhi Chhan" to save girl child and trees. Harsimrat has been re-elected as an MP from Bathinda in 2014 having defeated Indian National Congress-People's Party of Punjab joint candidate, Manpreet Singh Badal. For this, she has been appointed in the Modi government as Union Minister for Food Processing.
- HT Correspondent (26 May 2014). "Bathinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal sworn in as food processing minister". Hindustan Times. New Delhi.
- "Constituency Wise Detailed Results (2009)." Electoral Commission of India, 2009. Page 112. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Cabinet reshuffle: Modi government's got talent but is it being fully utilised?", The Economic Times, 10 July 2016
- "15th Lok Sabha Members Bioprofile" Government of India, 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Harsimrat Badal launches fifth phase of Nanhi Jaan project". Punjab Newsline. Punjab, India. 9 March 2009. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
Official website of harsimrat badal