Hartlepool Borough Council
Hartlepool Borough Council
|Third of council elected three years out of four|
|Founded||1 April 1974|
Mayor of Hartlepool
Cllr Brenda Loynes, Labour
since 24 June 2019
Leader of the Council
since 28 March 2015
|7 May 2015 (one third of councillors)|
5 May 2016 (one third of councillors)
2 May 2019 (one third of councillors)
|6 May 2021 (one third of councillors)|
|Civic Centre, Hartlepool|
Hartlepool Borough Council is the local authority of the Borough of Hartlepool. It is a unitary authority, with the powers and functions of a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. Since 2 May 2013 the council has used the leader and cabinet model of executive arrangements. Between 2002 and 2013 it used rarer mayor and cabinet model with a directly elected mayor of Hartlepool. The current civic mayor of Hartlepool for the 2017/2018 municipal year is Councillor Paul Beck.
The executive function of Hartlepool Borough Council was controlled by a directly elected mayor of Hartlepool from 2002 to 2013. On 9 May 2019, Labour Council leader Christopher Akers-Belcher and two fellow party members, defected to the Socialist Labour Party following the Labour Party's defeat in the recent local elections. On 13 September, ten independent councillors defected to the Brexit Party. The Conservative councillors then formed a pact with the Brexit Party councillors to become the largest group on the council.
|Party in control||Years|
|No overall control||2000–2004|
|No overall control||2008–2010|
|No overall control||2019–present|
- Marko, Nic (21 May 2019). "New leader of Hartlepool Borough Council says he's 'tried to ensure everyone willing is sat around the top table for the better of the town'". Hartlepool Mail. Hartlepool: Northeast Press. Archived from the original on 21 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Councillor Shane Moore". Hartlepool Borough Council. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Councillor Mike Young". Hartlepool Borough Council. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Councillors". Hartlepool Borough Council. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Thompson, Fiona (9 May 2019). "Hartlepool Council leader Christopher Akers-Belcher and two fellow party members resign from Labour". Hartlepool Mail. Hartlepool. Archived from the original on 10 May 2019. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- Scott, Jim (13 September 2019). "The Brexit Party takes hold of Hartlepool Borough Council". The Northern Echo. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "Hartlepool". BBC News Online. 19 April 2009. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Hartlepool Borough Council - Election results for 2019". BBC News. 3 May 2019. Retrieved 3 May 2019.