Harun Rashid Khan
Harun Rashid Khan
|Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India|
4 July 2011 – 4 July 2016
|Succeeded by||N S Vishwanathan|
|Education||Utkal University, Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|Known for||Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India|
Harun Rashid Khan, popularly known as H R Khan, was a Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India for a five-year term between 2011 and 2016  Considered approachable and open to reasoning  Khan has made contribution to internal debt management, external investment and exchange control. He was appointed as Deputy Governor in July 2011. He has also been an Executive Director of RBI and Director of NABARD.
Early life and education
H R Khan had his early schooling at Badagada Highschool in Bhubaneswar. He was a brilliant student. Although he studied in the vernacular medium, he regularly won first prizes at State level debate and elocution contests in English, and was a multiple winner of the Governor's Cup for elocution.
Career in RBI
Khan joined Reserve Bank of India in 1978. He rapidly rose through the ranks, working in diverse areas, and became the Principal of RBI's College of Agricultural Banking (CAB) at Pune, before getting appointed as the Regional Director of RBI, New Delhi.
He was elevated to the position of Executive Director of RBI on 26 October 2007. He was appointed as Deputy Governor on 4 July 2011.
Khan was the Chairman of the RBI Internal Group on Rural Credit and Microfinance, which is popularly known as the Khan Committee. Based on the recommendations of the Khan Committee, RBI prepared guidelines for expansion of the banking outreach through the Business Facilitator and Business Correspondent models with ICT support, which revolutionized the spread of financial inclusion in India.
Towards the end of his career, Khan chaired the "Working Group on Development of Corporate Bond Market in India". Its report, also popularly referred to as "Khan Committee Report" considered various structural issues impinging on the development of a deep corporate bond market in India.
In April 2018 H R Khan had been questioned by Central Bureau of Investigation in connection with the Punjab National Bank Scam. In July 2018 Bandhan Bank had appointed H R Khan as its Non-executive Chairman. However, Reserve Bank of India did not clear his name for the position without assigning any reason.
- Chairman, RBI Internal Group on Rural Credit & Micro-finance
- Member Secretary, Committee on Ways and Means Advances for State Governments
- Convenor, Working Group on Instruments of Sterilisation
- Convenor, Working Group on Model Fiscal Responsibility & Budget Management Bill for States
- Member, G-20 Working Group on "Reinforcing International Cooperation & Market Integrity"
- Member, BIS Committee on "Global Financial System"
- Member, International Task Force on Central Counterparties
Speeches & Writings
- IT Governance and IT Strategy: Boards' Eye View
- Financing Strategies for Urban Infrastructure: Trends and Challenges (RBI Bulletin, August 2013)
- Challenges and concerns of the central bank - opportunities and role for the commercial banks ( BIS - Publications)
- Promoting Retail Investor Participation in Government Bonds (8th Annual National Conference on Capital Markets on the theme "Confidence Building Measures for Retail Investors" on 9 January 2013 at Mumbai)
- Understanding Psychology through Responsible Financial Behaviour (Maharishi Dayanand College, Mumbai on 6 February 2012)
- The Shrinking Money & RBI's Economic Policy (National Management Seminar, Bhubaneswar on 10 December 2011)
- "Khan retires, Vishwanathan takes charge as RBI Deputy Governor". The Indian Express. 5 July 2016.
- "Harun Rashid Khan is new deputy governor of RBI". The Times Of India. 13 July 2011.
- "H R Khan appointed Deputy Governor of RBI (Press Release)".
- "H R Khan promoted as DG of RBI)".
- "Khan committee report: 'Allow banks to pledge corporate bonds as collateral with RBI'". The Indian Express. 19 August 2016.
- "CBI questions H R Khan". Economic Times. 7 April 2018.
- "RBI does not clear Khan's name for Bandhan Bank". The Hindu. 19 December 2018.
- "Harun Rashid Khan as new DG of RBI)". The Times Of India. 13 July 2011.