Taken around 1976
|1st President of Palau|
2 March 1981 – 30 June 1985
|Vice President||Alfonso Oiterong|
|Succeeded by||Thomas Remengesau, Sr. (acting)|
|Born||Haruo Ignacio Remeliik
1 June 1933
|Died||30 June 1985
Haruo Ignacio Remeliik (1 June 1933 – 30 June 1985) was a politician from Palau. He served as the first President of Palau from 2 March 1981 until his assassination on 30 June 1985. He is buried at Kloulklubed in his home state of Peleliu. Remeliik was of mixed Japanese and Palauan descent.
Remelik's killers remain unknown. Remelik was shot in the driveway of his home by an unidentified gunman. Six months after the killing, two relatives of Roman Tmetuchl and another man were arrested in connection to the killing; however, they were later released. In March 2000, former presidential candidate and convicted felon John O. Ngiraked claimed responsibility for the conspiracy to kill Remeliik.
- Ron Crocombe (2007). Asia in the Pacific Islands. University of the South Pacific, Institute of Pacific Studies. pp. 103, 112. ISBN 982-02-0388-0.
- No Arrests in Slaying Of Pacific Island Leader
- CONVICTIONS REVERSED IN ISLAND SLAYING
- Embattled Island: The Assassination of Palau's First President
- Shuster, Donald R. (2002). Roman Tmetuchl: A Palauan Visionary. Roman Tmetuchl Family Trust. p. 129. ISBN 982-9064-01-8.
- Corry, John (2 July 1987). "'20/20' EXAMINES TORUBLE IN PALAU". Retrieved 3 August 2016.
|President of Palau
Thomas Remengesau, Sr.
|This article about a Palauan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|