|Elevation||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 29 Z|
The town is in northern Tamil Nadu, with an average elevation of 350 meters (1148 feet).
According to the 2001 Indian census Harur has a population of 20,346, 49.99 percent male and 50.01 percent female. Its literacy rate is 75.33 percent, higher than the national average of 59.5 percent. Male literacy is 82.34 percent and female literacy 68.32 percent. 11.72 percent of the population is under age six. Agriculture is the primary occupation.
Places of interest
- Theerthamalai – 14 km (8.7 mi) away
- Vallimadurai Dam – 7 km away
- Sitheri Hills – 26 km (16 mi) away
- Morappur Railway junction - 11 km away
- Muneeswaran temple - 14 km away
- Kammalampatty manavaalan temple - 5 km
- Hanumanthertham - 15 km - Hanuman Temple
- mallamapuram- 23 km -Ellammal temple.
- yercaud - 64.1 km away
- yelagiri hills - 47 km away
Dharmapuri District is the first district created in Tamil Nadu after Independence. 'Hogenakkal Falls or Hogenakal Falls', also referred as the "Niagara of India", is located in the Dharmapuri district. With its fame for medicinal baths and hide boat rides, it is a major tourist attraction. Another important tourist destination in the district is the hill-temple at Theerthamalai in Harur
RTO unit office is located in Harur.
Harur is connected by one national highway(NH179A) ,two state highways(6A,60A) and many other district roads. There is bus service to Chennai, Salem, Coimbatore, Erode, Vellore, Tirupathi, Thiruvannamalai, Dharmapuri, Hosur, Bengaluru, Madurai. Harur has second Regional division office in Dharmapuri district.
The nearest railway station is at Morappur, 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) from Harur.
Molybdenum was discovered near Harur by the Ministry of Mines in 2004. It is the only natural source of the metal in India. The ability of molybdenum to withstand extreme temperatures without significantly expanding or softening makes it useful in applications involving intense heat, including the manufacture of aircraft parts, electrical contacts, industrial motors and filaments.
Government College of Arts and Science Dharmapuri, Affiliated to Periyar University Established Year 1965. There are more than 30 Educational institutions in and around Harur and Government Engineering Collage near harur since 2015 . HARUR became 32nd educational district in Tamilnadu in 01.03.2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harur.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- http://www.citt.gc.ca/dumping/inquirie/findings/archive_nq93006_e.asp#I13%7Cname=Canadian International Trade Tribunal of Black Granite
- Emsley, John (2001). Nature's Building Blocks. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. 262–266. ISBN 0-19-850341-5.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 May 2006. Retrieved 9 October 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter