Harvard Sailing Team
|Harvard Sailing Team|
|Subscriber and view counts updated as of April 8, 2016.|
Harvard Sailing Team is an award-winning New York City sketch comedy group featuring 5 women and 4 men. The team performs weekly in Manhattan and their popular YouTube videos have over 16 million views. They have been featured on CBS, VH1's Best Week Ever, ComedyCentral.com, College Humor, New York Magazine's Vulture blog, Funny or Die, Andrew Sullivan's blog, The Comic's Comic, Cosmo Magazine, Jezebel, Gawker, Sesame Street and TimeOut NY.
Winners of the 2011 Nightlife award for Outstanding Comedy Group, I the Friar's Club Film Festival competition, Improvisation News 2011 INNY Award for Best in Sketch Comedy and the 2007 ECNY award for Best Sketch Comedy Group, they perform their hit live show every Friday night at The PIT. They have appeared live at Montreal Just For Laughs Festival, the Kennedy Center, Caroline's on Broadway, National College Comedy Festival, The PIT, Charleston's Piccolo Spoletto Festival, Chicago SketchFest, Toronto SketchFest, New York Comedy Festival's Best of Sketch Show, SketchFest NYC and at the UCB NY and UCB LA. They perform in argyle sweaters and Converse sneakers.
Harvard Sailing Team is Jen Curran, Clayton Early, Faryn Einhorn, Katie Larsen, Adam Lustick, Billy Scafuri, Chris Smith, Rebecca Delgado Smith and Sara Taylor. The sketch group is not affiliated in any way with Harvard University or its sailing program.
The group was founded by Chris Smith, a graduate of NYU, and Billy Scafuri, who graduated from Hofstra University, but both of whom are from Rockville Centre, New York. Not one of them attended Harvard University, and none of them sail. They first performed in Merrick, New York. Their second appearance at the Charleston Comedy Festival was named Best Return Engagement.
Individually Harvard Sailing Team members can be seen on television, in feature films, award-winning short films, and national commercials. Although they're comedians, many in the troupe are also experienced dancers, choreographers, and singers.
Winner: 2011 Nightlife Award for Outstanding Comedy Duo or Group.
Winner: 2010 Friars Club Film Festival Competition.
Winner: 2011 Improvisation News INNY Award for Best in Sketch Comedy
Winner: 2007 Emerging Comics of New York Award for Best Sketch Comedy Group.
- "Harvard Sailing Team". YouTube.
- Berstein, Judith and Joan Reminick. "Cool 2 Do", Newsday, 2005-06-24, p. B2.
- Borden, Jane. "Short review: Harvard Sailing Team", Time Out New York, 2007-09-06. Retrieved on 2008-07-10.
- Lapowsky, Issie. "A mish-mash of theater for those who want something different", Washington Square News, 2005-12-09. Retrieved on 2008-07-10.
- Smith, Nick. "Harvard Sailing Team: These kids show other sketch comedians how it's done", Charleston City Paper, 2008-05-19. Retrieved on 2008-07-10.
- Lawrence, Stratton. "Review: The Harvard Sailing Team’s sketch comedy is the funniest thing going this fest", Charleston City Paper, 2007-05-23. Retrieved on 2008-07-10.
- 2011 INNY Award Winners, Improvisation News Retrieved on 2012-06-15.
- Borden, Jane. Timeout.com, Time Out New York blog, 2008-01-29. Retrieved on 2008-07-10.