Harvest Moon (album)
|Studio album by Neil Young|
|Released||October 27, 1992|
|Recorded||September 1991 - February 1992 at Redwood Digital, Woodside (except "Natural Beauty" at Portland Auditorium, OR, and strings on "Such A Woman" recorded at Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA)|
|Genre||Roots rock, folk rock, country rock|
|Producer||Neil Young, Ben Keith|
|Neil Young chronology|
Harvest Moon is the twentieth studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, released on October 27, 1992. Many of the musicians appearing on it also appeared on his 1972 album Harvest, and it is considered by many to be like a "sequel" to Harvest.
Recovering from a case of tinnitus that had come about after the recording of 1990's Ragged Glory and its subsequent tour (which produced 1991's Weld and Arc), Young was determined to return to the studio. Returning to Nashville and joining up with compatriots like Ben Keith, Young put down the electric guitar, returning to the acoustic guitar, piano and banjo that had dominated albums such as Harvest, Comes a Time and Old Ways.
The album earned the 1994 Juno Award for album of the year. The 2009 release Dreamin' Man is a live album of the subsequent 1992 tour and contains live renditions of all Harvest Moon tracks in a different order.
Matthew Greenwald of AllMusic wrote glowingly of the title track, "Harvest Moon", calling the melody "positively gorgeous". Classic Rock Review named Harvest Moon its album of the year for 1992.  The album continued Young's commercial and critical resurgence following Freedom and Ragged Glory, eventually outselling both of these records.
All tracks written by Neil Young.
|2.||"From Hank to Hendrix"||5:12|
|3.||"You and Me"||3:45|
|5.||"War of Man"||5:41|
|6.||"One of These Days"||4:55|
|7.||"Such a Woman"||4:36|
|10.||"Natural Beauty" (recorded live at The Civic Auditorium, Portland OR, January 23, 1992)||10:22|
The Stray Gators
- Neil Young – guitar, harmonica, banjo guitar, piano, pump organ, vibes, vocals
- Kenny Buttrey – drums
- Tim Drummond – bass, marimba, broom
- Ben Keith – pedal steel guitar, dobro, bass marimba, vocal
- Spooner Oldham – piano, pump organ, keyboards
- Linda Ronstadt – vocals
- James Taylor – vocals
- Nicolette Larson – vocals
- Astrid Young – vocals
- Larry Cragg – vocals
- Strings on track 7 (arranged by Jack Nitzsche):
- Maria Newman
- Robin Lorentz
- Berg Garabedian
- Betty Byers
- Valerie Dimond
- Carrie Prescott
- David Stenske
- Larry Corbett
- Greg Gottlieb
- Haim Shtrum
- Cindy McGurty
- Harris Goldman
- Israel Baker
- Rick Gerding
- Matt Funes
- Adriana Zoppo
- Ericka Duke
- David Shamban
- Michael Feeth
|1992||The Billboard 200||16|
|1992||"War of Man"||Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||7|
|1993||"Unknown Legend"||Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||38|
|1993||"Harvest Moon"||UK Singles Chart||36|
|RIAA – U.S.||Gold||January 15, 1993|
|RIAA – U.S.||Platinum||February 3, 1993|
|RIAA – U.S.||2.00x Multi-Platinum||July 16, 1997|
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine (1992-10-27). "Harvest Moon - Neil Young | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Kot, Greg (1992-11-26). "Neil Young Harvest Moon Album Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Harvest Moon – Neil Young". AllMusic. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Classic Rock Review of Harvest Moon by Neil Young". Retrieved June 25, 2012.