Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America
|Harvest of Empire: The Untold Story of Latinos in America|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Peter Getzels
|Produced by||Wendy Thompson-Marquez
|Written by||Juan González|
|Narrated by||Juan Gonzalez|
|Edited by||Peter Getzels
Harvest of Empire: The Untold Story of Latinos in America is a 2012 feature-length documentary film based on the book Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America, written by journalist Juan González. The film was directed by Peter Getzels and Eduardo López, and premiered in New York and Los Angeles on September 28.
The film examines the role of the United States military and economic interests in Latin American countries. It documents the relationship between United States' intervention in the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador, and the surge of migration from those nations. It links this exodus to the present massive Latino population in the United States. Also discussed are the wars fought by United States resulting in colonial expansion into Puerto Rico, Cuba, and over half of Mexico. It documents the covert actions by the United States to install dictatorships in the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador.
The film features interviews with Nobel Prize winner Rigoberta Menchu, Jesse Jackson, executive director of the ACLU Anthony Romero, Junot Diaz, Lorenzo Meyer, Maria Hinojosa, Geraldo Rivera, musician Luis Enrique, Border Angels founder Enrique Morones and poet Martin Espada.
- "Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America (Book)". Zinn Education Project. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- "Immigration nation: Daily News columnist Juan González looks at impact of Latino arrivals". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Documentary Film Screening – Harvest of Empire: The Untold Story of Latinos in America | Brookings Institution". Brookings.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- Murray, Ben (2012-09-18). "‘Harvest of Empire’: U.S. Imperialism in Latin America Is Why We Have So Many Latino Americans". Takepart.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Harvest Of Empire, A Documentary by Wendy Thompson and Eduardo López to Screen at Hostos – CUNY Newswire – CUNY". .cuny.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "Harvest of Empire Documentary at Quad Cinema, New York - NY Daily News". Events.nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2012-09-27.