Harvest was a DARPA funded research project by the Internet Research Task Force Research Group on Resource Discovery and hosted at the University of Colorado at Boulder which provided a web cache, developed standards such as the Internet Cache Protocol and Summary Object Interchange Format, and spawned many other technologies and software products.
After the conclusion of the project in 1996, development of the Harvest object cache was continued with the University of Edinburgh releasing version 1.5. The open source squid cache and commercial NetCache were both based on the Harvest object cache.
- "Caching on JANET". JISC. 1996-09-01. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Harvest Web Indexing". Web.archive.org. 2002-02-05. Archived from the original on 2002-02-05. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Duane Wessels (2004). Squid: the definitive guide. O'Reilly Media. p. 3. ISBN 0-596-00162-2.
- "Squid Internet Object Cache - Advanced caching proxy server for Unix —". Serverwatch.com. 1998-07-30. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Harvest: A Scalable, Customizable Discovery and Access System
- Harvest User's Manual
- harvest.transarc.com/, Wayback Machine
- An adaptive caching and replication mechanism for WWW, June 1997
- Caching on JANET
- Cached-1.4 ChangeLog