Einbinder studied for two years at the University of Connecticut (UConn), at first physics but then mathematics in which he received a degree with "highest distinction" in 1946. He later received his Ph.D. in Physics from Columbia University.
Einbinder spent five years combing the Encyclopædia Britannica for flaws, and found enough to fill a 390-page book, called The Myth of the Britannica, published by Grove Press in 1964. As summarized by The Age two years later, Einbinder's book "showed beyond argument that the Britannica was not a completely impartial and absolutely infallible work of general reference; that 666 articles in the 1963 edition were reprinted from editions dating back to 1875 in some cases; that American influence on its editorial policy had become dominant".
Einbinder at one point also disputed the historical accuracy of the Black Hole of Calcutta account. Among his other publications are An American Genius: Frank Lloyd Wright, and the play Mah Name is Lyndon.
- The Myth of the Britannica. New York: Grove Press, 1964 / London: MacGibbon & Kee, 1964 / New York: Johnson Reprint Corp., 1972
- "Politics and the new Britannica", The Nation 220:11:342-4 (1975) - Review of the Britannica 3
- An American genius : Frank Lloyd Wright. New York : Philosophical Library, 1986, ISBN 0-8022-2511-X
- Mah name is Lyndon; a play. Illustrated by Florence Safadi. New York, Lady Bird Press. 1968
- Harvey Einbinder, www.legacy.com
- EINBINDER Obituaries Jewish Ledger (Connecticut), February 5, 2013. Retrieved September 22, 2014
- Einbinder, Harvey (Spring 2000). "THE EARLY YEARS AT UCONN" (pdf). Math CONNections-A Newsletter from the UConn Mathematics Department. University of Connecticut. 3: 8, 13. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- Einbinder, Harvey The Myth of the Britannica. New York: Grove Press, 1964 (OCLC 152581687)/ London: MacGibbon & Kee, 1964 (OCLC 807782651) / New York: Johnson Reprint Corp., 1972. (OCLC 286856)
- Peter Westcott Britannica on the Shelves (review of the 1965 edition of Encyclopædia Britannica), The Age, 28 May 1966, p.25