Harwood Heights, Illinois
The Mont Clare at Harlem Avenue, formerly known as Parkway Towers
|Motto: A small town of big opportunities|
|Area||0.82 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- land||0.82 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||10,502.4 / sq mi (4,055 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Harwood Heights, Illinois|
Harwood Heights is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 8,612 at the 2010 census. The current mayor is Arlene Jezierny. She is the second woman to serve as mayor in Harwood Heights, the first being Margaret Fuller.
Harwood Heights is located at (41.966172, -87.805576).
According to the 2010 census, Harwood Heights has a total area of 0.82 square miles (2.12 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,297 people, 3,505 households, and 2,183 families residing in the village. The population density was 10,094.4 people per square mile (3,906.7/km²). There were 3,606 housing units at an average density of 4,387.2 per square mile (1,697.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 92.13% White, 0.31% African American, 0.24% Native American, 4.42% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.54% from other races, and 1.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.83% of the population.
Based on United States Census data, Harwood Heights is listed as an Illinois community with a significant number of Polish Americans, at 32.5%. Among communities in the United States with populations of 500 or more, Harwood Heights has the second highest percentage of residents born in Poland (18.8%). It also has the seventh highest percentage of residents born in Italy among communities in the United States (4.9%).
There were 3,505 households out of which 23.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.3% were married couples living together, 10.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.7% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the village the population was spread out with 18.5% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 88.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $43,288, and the median income for a family was $52,169. Males had a median income of $40,329 versus $29,552 for females. The per capita income for the village was $22,558. About 4.0% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.1% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
Local culture and media
Local media include Norridge's Ridgewood High School's radio and television stations: 89.7 WRHS-FM Norridge, 88.1 WRWX-FM/WXMS Harwood Heights, and WRHS Cable Channel 19.
Three elementary school districts serve Harwood Heights:
- Pennoyer Elementary School District 79 
- Norridge School District 80
- Union Ridge School District 86
Two high school districts serve Harwood Heights:
Colleges and universities
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Harwood Heights village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Village of Harwood Heights: Mayor Margaret Fuller.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Polish Ancestry". epodunk.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Poland (population 500+)". city-data.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Italy (population 500+)". city-data.com. Retrieved 2008-08-18.
- Pennoyer Elementary School
- Norridge School
- Union Ridge School
- Triton Junior College
- Eisenhower Public Library
- "Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Village of Harwood Heights" (PDF). Village of Harwood Heights. July 22, 2010. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- "Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Village of Harwood Heights" (PDF). Village of Harwood Heights. September 26, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
||Norwood Park, Chicago||Jefferson Park, Chicago|
|Norridge, Illinois||Portage Park, Chicago|