Haryana Environment Protection Council
|हरियाणा पर्यावरण संरक्षण परिषद|
Official logo of Environment Department, Haryana
|Formed||7 June 2006|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Haryana|
Haryana Environment Protection Council (or HEPC) is an advisory committee formed in 2006 to advise the Ministry of Environment, Govt. of Haryana on environment issues. It is headquartered at Chandigarh. The committee was scheduled to be reconstituted in year 2011.
The demand for formation of Environment Council was raised when Hon'ble Supreme Court of India repeatedly expressed concerns over the degradation of environment in Haryana. Taking note of this, The Governor of Haryana, Sh. Jagannath Pahadia formed the Haryana Environment Protection Council on 7 June 2006 in Chandigarh and took over as the Chairman of the committee.
The Governor of Haryana is the official chairman of this committee. The Chief Minister of Haryana is the vice-chairman. The other official members are:
- Finance Minister,
- Irrigation Minister,
- Education Minister,
- Industries Minister,
- Public Health Minister,
- Environment Minister,
- Minister of State for Forest,
- Minister of State for Urban Development,
The Governor of Haryana has appointed 14 Non-official members of the committee:
According to the Environment Ministry, HEPC works on three-point principle:
- Review the work relating to environment undertaken in the state by government and non-government organisations.
- Advise the state government of environmental issues of the state.
- Identify areas requiring investigation, research and restoration in the field of environment.
On the advice of the council, the environment department has introduced three new schemes: Sewerage treatment plant in Haryana State, Ghaggar and Markanda Action Plan and setting-up of Environment Training Institute at Gurgaon in the 11th Five Year Plan (2007–12).The Finance and Planning Department gave its approval regarding the same and sanctioned a token amount during 2007–08.
- "Environment Ministry Press Release" (PDF) (Press release). Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- HarSamadhan Haryana Govt's online Complaints portal