Rrethi i Hasit
Map showing the district within Albania
Has District (Albanian: Rrethi i Hasit) was one of the thirty-six districts of Albania (which were dissolved in 2000) that is now part of Kukës County, and one of the smallest districts of Albania. It had a population of 17,419 (2010 estimate), and an area of 393 km². It is in the north-east of the country, and its capital and only municipality was Krumë.
Has District, besides the town of Krumë, comprised a number of villages which are well known for their help in 1999 during the Kosovo War against the Serbian Army, for the unprecedented hospitality given to the thousands of refugees from Kosovo (there were about 78,000 refugees staying in the homes of Has inhabitants, or more than threefold the population of the Has District at that time). Hasi is located in the border of Albania and Kosovo[a]. The ethnographic region of Has is much wider than the District of Has, because about half of this region is located in the territory of Kosovo, from the Albania-Kosovo border to the gates of the cities of Prizren and Gjakova. Hasi was the trade center of north Albania.
Year-by-year the population of Has has been falling dramatically. European studies show that the decline in the Has population is falling due to the lack of economy so there is a huge number of people from this area migrating to countries like the United Kingdom and the United States but mostly to Tirana, the capital of Albania.
The district consisted of the following municipalities:
- Has of Prizren, region in Kosovo
Notes and references
- a. ^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the Brussels Agreement. Kosovo has received formal recognition as an independent state from 113 out of 193 United Nations member states.
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS PREFEKTURAVE, 2001–2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS RRETHEVE, 2001-2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Archived from the original on 2012-03-10. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "Administrative Divisions of Albania" (PDF). INSTAT. 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2011.