Hashoo Group was established in 1960 as Hassan Ali & Company, a commodities trading company based in Karachi Port. By the 1970s, it had become one of Pakistan's largest trading companies. However, in 1972, Government of Pakistan nationalised cotton and rice exports leading the Hashoo Group to diversify into hospitality sector. In 1978, the group established Holiday Inn Hotel in Islamabad, and then another one in Karachi in 1981. Both of the hotels were converted into Marriott brand in the 1990s. In 1985, the group made a successful bid for the majority shares of Pakistan Services Limited, which then owned four Inter-Continental Hotels across Pakistan, the hotels were re-branded into Pearl-Continental Hotels.
In 1995, Hashoo Group acquired the US-based corporation Occidental Petroleum's Pakistan operations (now known as Orient Petroleum Inc.). In 2001, it acquired the Destinations of the World franchise in Pakistan. In 2012, the group launched Hotel One, a mid range hotel chain in Pakisntan.
Pakistan Marriott Hotel bombing
On September 20, 2008, a Hashoo Group-owned hotel in Pakistan's capital Islamabad was bombed when a suicide attacker with an explosive-laden truck detonated the explosives, killing at least 53 people and injuring no less than 266, including many foreign guests. The explosion, a truck bomb heard 30 km (19 mi) away in Rawalpindi, occurred at 7:40 P.M. PDT, just hours after newly elected President Asif Ali Zardari addressed Parliament of Pakistan, promising to end terrorism in the country. On 23 September 2008, Sadruddin Hashwani promised to reopen the hotel on 31 December 2008, which would be accompanied by a celebration. Keeping his promise, the hotel was reopened before the end of 2008.
Tours and travels
- Pearl Tour & Travels (Pvt) Limited (car rental division)
- Pearl Tours & Travels (Pvt) Limited(Tours division)
- Trans Air Travels (Pvt) Limited
- Destinations of the World - Pakistan
- Marriott Hotels, Pakistan
- Pearl-Continental Hotels & Resorts with locations in all major cities of Pakistan
- Net-21 (Pvt) Limited
Oil and gas
- Ocean Pakistan Limited.
- Zaaver Petroleum Corporation Limited
- OPI Gas (Pvt) Limited
- Zaver Chemicals (Pvt) Limited
- Zaver Mining Company Limited
- Zaver Oils Limited
- Gelcaps (Pakistan) Ltd.
- Pakistan Services Limited (PSL) operating Pearl Continental Hotel chain of 6 hotels in Pakistan - listed on the Karachi Stock Exchange
- Hashwani Sales & Services (Pvt) Limited
- Hashoo Holdings (Pvt) Limited
- Pearl Real Estate Holdings Limited
- Hashoo International (Pvt) Limited
- Hasan Ali & Company (Pvt) Limited
- Genesis Trading (Pvt) Limited
- Muzaffar and Companies
- Hashoo Foundation
- Company Overview of Hashoo Group of Companies on Bloomberg.com website Retrieved 9 November 2017
- "PROFILES OF CONTESTANTS OF DIRECTORS' ELECTION" (PDF). Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- "Hospitality & tourism: Hashoo Group seeks to expand budget hotel chain - The Express Tribune (newspaper)". 5 August 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "BBC NEWS - South Asia - Dozens killed in Pakistan attack". 20 September 2008. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "BBC NEWS - South Asia - Terror pledge after Pakistan bomb". 21 September 2008. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Armed with hope, Hashoo Group looks to expand The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 3 August 2014, Retrieved 9 November 2017
- Hashoo Group - Official site
- Timeline of Hashoo Group
- Documentary on Hashoo Group of Companies on YouTube
|This Pakistani corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|