Location of Haskovo in Bulgaria
|• Governor||Stanislav Dechev|
|• Total||5,533.3 km2 (2,136.4 sq mi)|
|Population (February 2011)|
|• Density||45/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Haskovo Province (Bulgarian: Област Хасково - Oblast Haskovo, former name Haskovo okrug) is a province in southern Bulgaria, neighbouring Greece and Turkey to the southeast, comprising parts of the Thracian valley along the river Maritsa. It is named after its administrative and industrial centre - the city of Haskovo. The province embraces a territory of 5,533.3 km² that is divided into 11 municipalities with a total population, as of December 2009, of 256,408 inhabitants.
The Haskovo province (Област, oblast) contains 11 municipalities (singular: oбщина, obshtina - plural: Общини, obshtini). The following table shows the names of each municipality in English and Cyrillic, the main town or village (towns are shown in bold), and the population of each as of December 2009.
|Mineralni bani||Минерални бани||6,542||Mineralni bani||1,303|
The Haskovo had a population of 277,483 (277,478 also given) according to a 2001 census, of which 48.9% were male and 51.1% were female. As of the end of 2009, the population of the province, announced by the Bulgarian National Statistical Institute, numbered 256,408 of which 25.8% are inhabitants aged over 60 years.
The following table represents the change of the population in the province after World War II:
|Sources: National Statistical Institute, „Census 2001“, „Census 2011“, „pop-stat.mashke.org“,??|
- Bulgarians: 180 541 (79,40%)
- Turks: 28 444 (12,50%)
- Roma: 15 889 (6,99%)
- Others and indefinable: 2 508 (1,10%)
A further 20,000 persons in Haskovo Province did not declare their ethnic group at the 2011 census.
Religious adherence in the province according to 2001 census:
|Religion not mentioned||12,000||4.32%|
- Provinces of Bulgaria
- Municipalities of Bulgaria
- List of cities and towns in Bulgaria
- List of villages in Haskovo Province
- (in English) Bulgarian Provinces area and population 1999 — National Center for Regional Development — page 90-91 Archived 2011-01-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian provinces and municipalities in 2009
- (in English) „WorldCityPopulation“
- Oblast Haskovo Archived 2009-06-05 at the Wayback Machine., official website
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian towns in 2009
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute – Bulgarian villages under 1000 inhabitants – December 2009
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute – Bulgarian Settlements 1000–5000 inhabitants – December 2009
- (in Bulgarian) Population to 01.03.2001 by Area and Sex from Bulgarian National Statistical Institute: Census 2001
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Population by age in 2009 Archived 2012-05-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- (in Bulgarian) Population on 01.02.2011 by provinces, municipalities, settlements and age; National Statistical Institute
- Population by province, municipality, settlement and ethnic identification, by 01.02.2011; Bulgarian National Statistical Institute (in Bulgarian)
- (in Bulgarian) Religious adherence in Bulgaria - census 2001