Haslemere railway station
|Managed by||South Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||3|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|– Interchange||0.104 million|
|– Interchange||0.102 million|
|Key dates||Opened 1 January 1859|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
Haslemere railway station is on the Portsmouth Direct Line, serving the town of Haslemere, Surrey, England. It is 42 miles 79 chains (69.2 km) down the line from London Waterloo, measured via Woking.
The large car park (to the south) and industrial estate (to the north) were originally large goods sidings. Platform 3 is an addition to the original structure, built in 1938 when the line was electrified. Until then, Haslemere was just a standard wayside station, but it became steadily busier as commuter traffic from the surrounding countryside grew. There are now four trains an hour to London Waterloo station and three to Portsmouth
The adjoining bridge (Foster's Bridge) over Lower Street was originally built as a two-track brick arch, but was widened later with a metal girder section.
Since June 2008, a new footbridge with lifts provides disabled access to platforms 2 and 3.
In December 2016, the station received a new decked car park, which added significant parking space at the station.
It is the only station on the Portsmouth Direct Line between Guildford and Havant to have more than two platforms. Platform 3 is used to allow northbound fast services to overtake stopping services. Platform 2 (generally up line) also receives termination of trains.
As of May 2019, the current off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 4 tph to London Waterloo via Guildford
- 1 tph to Portsmouth & Southsea (all stations)
- 2 tph to Portsmouth Harbour (semi-fast)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Witley||South Western Railway
Portsmouth Direct Line (stopping services)
|Godalming||South Western Railway
Portsmouth Direct Line
- Yonge, John (November 2008) . Jacobs, Gerald (ed.). Railway Track Diagrams 5: Southern & TfL (3rd ed.). Bradford on Avon: Trackmaps. map 26A. ISBN 978-0-9549866-4-3.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "New Lifts at Haslemere Station Provide Access for All". Network Rail. 8 November 2008. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Haslemere decked car park". Archived from the original on 18 August 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
|This article about a Surrey building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in South East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|