Hassan (given name)
|Meaning||handsome, good, benefactor|
|Look up Hassan in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Hassan (also spelled Hasan, Hassane, Hassen, Hasson, Hassin, Hassine, Hacen, Hasen, Hasin, Hassa, Hassann, Hasa, Hasso, Cassin, Chassan, Chasan, Khassan, Khasan, Cassan, Casan, Hasaan, Alassane, Lassana, Lacène, or Lansenou) (Arabic: حسن, Ḥasan) is a masculine Arabic given name.
Etymology and spelling
The name Hassan in Arabic means 'handsome', 'good' or 'benefactor'.
There are two different Arabic names that are both romanized with the spelling "Hassan". However, they are pronounced differently, and in Arabic script spelled differently.
- The more common name حسن Ḥasan (as in the name of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad's grandson al-Ḥasan ibn ‘Alī ) has two short vowels and a single /s/. Its meaning is 'the good' or 'the handsome'. Its usual form in Classical Arabic is الحسن al-Ḥasan, incorporating the definite article al-, which may be omitted in modern Arabic names.
- The name حسّان Ḥassāan has a long vowel and a doubled /sː/. Its meaning is 'doer of good'. It is not used with the definite article in Arabic.
In the romanized spelling "Hassan," it is not possible to distinguish which of the two names is intended. The ambiguity can be removed by romanizing the former name as "Hassan" with a single a, and reserving the spelling with doubled a for the latter name.
King al-Ḥasan of Morocco (officially romanized as "Hassan" due to the influence of French orthography) is an example of the former. The early Islamic poet Ḥassān ibn Thābit is an example of the latter. In the original Arabic, the two different names are easily distinguished.
- List of variant spellings
- In French: Hassan, Hassen or Hacen
- In Spanish: Hassan, Hassán, Hacen, Hacén, Jassan, Jassán, Jasan or Jasán
- In Italian: Cassan, Cassano, Cassani, Gazzano, Gazzani, Gassano, Gassani.
- In Russian and Bulgarian (in Cyrillic): Хасан
- In Russian (in Cyrillic): Хасан, Хассан, Хассен, Хэссан or Гасан
- In Hebrew transcription: חסן
- In Arabic transcription: حسن
- In Azerbaijan: Həsən
- In Sub-Saharan Africa: Lassana, Alassane and Lacen, derived from al-Hassan.
- In Finland: Hasanen for Hassan, derived from the Arabic Hassan and the Finnish ending for surnames EN.
- In Turkish: Hasan
- In Bosnian: Hasan
- In Albanian: Hasan
- In Macedonian: Hasan
- In Croatian/Serbian: Asan or Hasan
- In China: Ha for Hassan, derived from the Arabic Hassan.
- In Kurdish: Hesan
- In Somali: Xasan
- Hacine Cherifi, former French boxer
- Abu l-Hasan Ali, Sultan of Granada, also known as Muley Hacén in Spanish
- Hasan al-Askari, eleventh Imam of Twelver Shi‘ism
- al-Ḥasan al-Baṣrī, prominent early Islamic scholar
- Hasan ibn Ali, the First Grandson of the Muḥammad and son of ‘Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib, the Fourth Caliph of Islam
- Hasan Čengić, Bosnian former Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister
- Hasan Cetinkaya, Swedish footballer
- Hasan Corso, an Italian who was part of the army of janissaries in the Turkish army
- Hasan Doğan, Turkish 37th president of the TFF
- Hasan Gemici, Turkish sports wrestler
- Hasan Güngör, Turkish sports wrestler
- Hasan Izzet, Ottoman general
- Hasan Kabze, Turkish footballer
- Hasan Minhaj, American comedian
- Hasan Muratović, former Bosniak rector of the University of Sarajevo and former prime minister
- Hasan Bülent Paksoy, Turkish scientist
- Hasan Polatkan (1915–1961), executed Turkish politician
- Hasan Salihamidžić, a Bosnian football midfielder
- Hasan Sönmez, Turkish footballer
- Hasan Şaş, Turkish footballer
- Hasan Ali Yücel, Turkish Minister of Education
- Hasan Shabir, Leader of the Gandi's Lovers cult
- Hasson Arbubakrr, a former NFL and CFL player
- Prince Hassan, Served as Crown Prince of Jordan under King Hussein's reign
- Hassan II of Morocco, the father of the current King of Morocco
- Hassan Adams, NBA player
- Hassan (C&C), General Hassan in the Command and Conquer continuity
- Muse Hassan Sheikh Sayid Abdulle, Somali politician and former army General
- Hassan Assad, real name of professional wrestler Montel Vontavious Porter
- Hasan al-Banna, founder of the Muslim Brotherhood
- Hassan Abdillahi, Somali journalist and activist
- Hassan Abshir Farah, former Prime Minister of Somalia
- Hassan Heshmat (born 1920), Egyptian sculptor
- Hassan Johnson, American actor
- Hassan Jones, former professional American football player
- Hassan Mohammed Abdirahman, real name of Somali singer-songwriter Aar Maanta
- Hassan Nader, retired Moroccan footballer
- Hassan Nasrullah, leader of Hezbollah
- Hassan Al-Qazwini, Islamic Center Imam
- Hassan Roshdieh, Iranian teacher, politician, and journalist
- Hassan Rowshan, Iraniamanagerial Hansen all coach, manager, and former player
- Hassan Shamsid-Deen, American football player
- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of Somalia
- Hassan Kamel al-Sabbah, a Lebanese electrical and electronics research engineer
- Hassan Whiteside, NBA player
- Salah-Hassan Hanifes, a Druze Israeli politician who served as a member of the Knesset
- Hassane Alla (born 1980), Moroccan footballer
- Hassane Azzoun (born 1979), Algerian judoka
- Hassane Brahim (born 1989), Chadian footballer
- Hassane Dicko, Burkina Faso politician
- Hassane Hamadi, Comorian politician
- Hassane Kamara (born 1994), Gambian footballer
- Ibrahim Hassane Mayaki (born 1951), Niger politician and Prime Minister
- Said Hassane Said Hachim (born 1932), Comorian politician
- Hasaan Ibn Ali, American jazz pianist and composer, born William Henry Langford, Jr.
- Hassanal Bolkiah (born 1946), the 29th Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei
- Khasan Baroyev, Russian wrestler of Ossetian origin
- Khasan Dzhunidov, Russian footballer
- Khasan Isaev, Bulgarian freestyle wrestler
- Khasan Israilov, Russian-Chechen journalist and poet
- Khasan Mamtov, Russian footballer
- Khasan Yandiyev, Russian judge
- Khassan Baiev, Chechen-American trauma surgeon
- Ĥassan, in the film A Girl Named Maĥmood
- Edward Neafsey (2002). Surnames of Ireland. Irish Roots Cafe. ISBN 978-0-940134-97-3.
- avotaynu.com: Guidebook for Sephardic and Oriental Genealogical Sources in Israel
- Islamic names Annemarie Schimmel 1989
- Finland's Population Register Centre:  (Select "Surname search" and enter "Hasanen")