Hassan Farhangi (born in Tehran, Iran) is the director of the Smart Microgrid Applied Research Team (SMART) at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) in Burnaby, Canada, and an adjunct professor at the School of Engineering Science at Simon Fraser University. He is known for his work in the development of Canada's first smart microgrid on the BCIT campus, which is regarded as one of the first campus-based smart microgrids built in Canada. Formerly, he was a Dean and Professor of Information Technology at the Technical University of British Columbia.
Farhangi holds a PhD in Electrical & Electronic Engineering from University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in the UK, A Master of Science (MSc) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering from University of Bradford (UK), and a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering from the University of Tabriz (Iran).
- Hassan Farhangi, “The Path of Smart Grid”, IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, Vol 8, No 1, Jan 2010.
- Hassan Farhangi, “A Roadmap to Integration”, IEEE Power & Energy, Vol 12, No 3, Jun 2014.
- M. Manbachi, M. Nasri, B. Shahabi, H. Farhangi, A. Palizban, S. Arzanpour, M. Moallem, D. Lee, Real-Time Adaptive VVO/CVR Topology Using Multi Agent System and IEC 61850-Based Communication Protocol, Published in IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, October 2013.
- Hassan Farhangi, “Intelligent Microgrid Research at BCIT”, in Proceeding of IEEE EPEC’08 Conference, Vancouver, Oct 2008.
- Giuseppe Stanciulescu, Hassan Farhangi, Ali Palizban and Nikola Stanchev, “Communication Technologies for Smart Microgrid”, in Proceeding of IEEE PES Conference, Washington DC, Jan 2012.
- "BCIT : : Applied Research at BCIT : : Dr. Hassan Farhangi". www.bcit.ca.
- "Hassan Farhangi, author of Smart Microgrids: Lessons from Campus Microgrid Design and Implementation on www.crcpress.com". CRC Press - Featured Authors.
- "Campus Tests Smart Power Delivery". www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada.