Hassan Mohammed Abdul Latif Jameel
London Business School
|Title||Vice Chairman and Deputy President, Saudi Arabia, of Abdul Latif Jameel|
(m. 2012; div. 2017)
Hassan Mohammed Abdul Latif Jameel is a Saudi businessman. He is Deputy President and Vice Chairman of Saudi Arabia operations of the family-owned international conglomerate business Abdul Latif Jameel, which, among numerous business operations, has distribution rights to Toyota vehicles in Saudi Arabia and other countries. He is also heavily involved in philanthropy work promoting health and safety, and assisting job-seekers and those in need, in Saudi Arabia.
Early life and education
Hassan Jameel is the middle son of Mohammed Abdul Latif Jameel, who has been the chairman and president of the diversified international business Abdul Latif Jameel since 1993. He is the grandson of Abdul Latif Jameel (1909–1993), who founded the eponymous company in 1945 and acquired distribution rights to Toyota vehicles in Saudi Arabia in 1955.
Jameel spent his early school career in Japan. He received a BA in International Economics from Sophia University in Tokyo in 2001. He subsequently obtained an MBA from the London Business School.
Following his period at Toyota, he returned to Saudi Arabia to work in the family-owned business Abdul Latif Jameel. The company is a diversified conglomerate consisting of independent businesses that cover automotive distribution, auto parts manufacturing, financial services, renewable energy, environmental services, land and real estate development, logistics, electronics retailing, and media services. It has operations in over a dozen countries in the Middle East, North Africa, Turkey, Asia Pacific, and Europe. It is one of the largest independent distributors of Toyota, Daihatsu, and Lexus vehicles in the world.
Jameel is currently Deputy President and Vice Chairman of domestic Saudi Arabia operations of Abdul Latif Jameel, with responsibility for operations such as automotive, land and real estate, and machinery.
He is on the Global Advisory Board, previously known as the President's Council, of the University of Tokyo. He is also on the board of directors of Family Business Council-Gulf, the GCC chapter of the global family business organization Family Business Network.
Jameel is President of Community Jameel in Saudi Arabia, a consortium of Abdul Latif Jameel philanthropies formerly known as Abdul Latif Jameel Community Initiatives and founded in 2003. The nonprofit organization has a wide range of social and economic initiatives, including refugee education, job creation, poverty alleviation, food and water security, healthcare improvement, and education and training that supports students beyond the classroom. It also invests in businesses aimed at helping communities transform themselves. Community Jameel also supports artists showcasing their work, and promotes arts and culture. It partners with MIT on global challenges such as health treatment, water and food safety, education for refugees, and poverty elimination. Bab Rizq Jameel Saudi Arabia, a division of Community Jameel, creates job opportunities for, and offers guidance to, young Saudi men and women, and also offers interest-free microfinance loans for entrepreneurship and job creation. Jameel is particularly involved in Community Jameel's road safety initiative, which promotes safe driving through education and awareness campaigns.
In 2012 Jameel married Tunisian art critic, art curator, and Sotheby's international contemporary art specialist Lina Lazaar. An activist promoter of Middle Eastern art, she founded Jeddah Art Week and co-founded Ibraaz. The marriage ended in divorce.
- "BRJ creates thousands more job opportunities". Arab News. July 7, 2012.
- "Community Jameel supports unified Gulf traffic week 2017". CJameel.org. March 5, 2017.
- "Hassan Mohammed Abdul Latif Jameel". Aliqtisadi. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- Chandler, David L. "New program aims to commercialize innovations in food and water". MIT News. April 30, 2015.
- "Forbes Middle East: The World's Richest Arabs 2016". Forbes Middle East. April 17, 2016.
- "The President's Council, The University of Tokyo Who's Who". University of Tokyo. 2014. p. 5.
- Grant, Jasmine. "5 Things to Know About Rihanna’s New Make Out Buddy, Hassan Jameel". VH1 News. June 28, 2017.
- Day, Emma. "Here's Everything You Need To Know About Rihanna's New Saudi Beau". Emirates Woman. June 29, 2017.
- "Family Firms in the Middle East: The New Rules of Engagement". Wharton School of Business. December 28, 2010.
- "Prince charming: what you didn’t know about Rihanna’s alleged new Saudi boyfriend". Arab News. June 29, 2017.
- "Graduate School of Public Policy, Global Advisory Board". University of Tokyo. 2010.
- "Mr. Hassan Jameel Profile". University of Tokyo. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- "Hassan Jameel". Family Business Council-Gulf. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- "Family Business Network: 25th Global Summit". FBNSummit.org. October 2014.
- "Who Is Hassan Jameel? Meet Rihanna’s Billionaire Boyfriend". GQ. November 29, 2018.
- "Top 100 World's Most Influential Arabs - Part 1". Gulf Business. Al Bawaba. February 22, 2012.
- "The Arab World's Richest Families 2017: Jameel". Forbes Middle East. March 4, 2017.
- "Biographies of UTokyo Global Advisory Board Members". University of Tokyo. November 2018.
- "UTokyo Global Advisory Board". University of Tokyo. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- "The Twelfth President’s Council Meeting Held". University of Tokyo. December 1, 2016.
- "GCC Board of Directors". Family Business Council-Gulf. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- "Abdul Latif Jameel hosts a ‘Majlis’ reception for Gulf Family Business Council". Al Bawaba. November 12, 2015.
- "GCC family businesses discuss long-term continuity and growth at FBCG Annual Summit". Arab News. April 24, 2017.
- "Hassan Jameel: Governance and succession planning crucial in family businesses". Abdul Latif Jameel. April 3, 2018.
- "UAE- Leaders Commit to Urgent Support for Refugee Education". MENAFN. January 24, 2019.
- "Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab at MIT to expand refugees’ access to higher education". CJameel.org. May 1, 2018.
- "Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab at MIT to expand refugees’ access to higher education". Opening Doors. Abdul Latif Jameel. Summer 2018.
- "Opening New Doors". Abdul Latif Jameel. 2016.
- Vultaggio, Maria. "Who Is Rihanna's Boyfriend, Hassan Jameel? Drake Made Her ‘Uncomfortable’ At The VMAs". Newsweek. May 3, 2018.
- Sampathkumar, Mythili. "Who is Hassan Jameel? Everything we know about Rihanna's new bae". The Independent. June 29, 2017.
- "Rihanna has broken up with her boyfriend for a very empowering reason". Glamour UK. May 4, 2018.
- "Abdul Latif Jameel Clinic for Machine Learning in Health at MIT aims to revolutionize disease prevention, detection, and treatment". MIT News. September 17, 2018.
- "J-PAL boosts refugee education". Arab News. May 20, 2018.
- Brookes, James. "The Duke of York’s visit to Saudi Arabia". RoyalCentral.co.uk. November 21, 2014.
- "Hassan Jameel provokes positive global change". Milestone. December 2018.
- "Hassan Jameel introduces 'Your Belt, Your Safety' initiative". Abdul Latif Jameel. March 4, 2017.
- "Rihanna sparks rumours she’s engaged to billionaire boyfriend Hassan Jameel". News.com.au. December 9, 2017.
- Hamad, Marwa. "Hassan Jameel: Fast facts about Rihanna’s partner". Gulf News. May 23, 2018.
- Khalil, Nadine. "A Radical Specialist". Official Bespoke. December / January 2012.
- "Sotheby's First-Ever Exhibition in Saudi Arabia Inaugurates 'Jeddah Art Week'". Sotheby's. February 25, 2013.
- Gronlund, Melissa. "The Tunisian art festival responding to life after the Jasmine Revolution". The National. July 5, 2018.
- Clark, Nick. "Sotheby's unveils key works of Middle Eastern art to go on sale in October". The Independent. July 21, 2014.
- Nair, Sindhu. "The Saudi Art Spring". T Qatar: The New York Times Style Magazine. March–April 2014. pp. 52-53.
- "Tate Report 2013/14". Tate. 2014. p. 106.
- Naji, Cassandra. "The 10 Most Influential Women in Middle Eastern Art". The Culture Trip. October 24, 2016.
- Proctor, Rebecca Anne. "Meet Lina Lazaar As She Embarkes On The Future Of A Promise". Harper's Bazaar Arabia. July 2, 2018.
- Contreras, Cydney. "Rihanna and Hassan Jameel's Latest Date Night Shuts Down All Those Split Rumors". E! News. November 28, 2018.
- Bailey, Alyssa. "Rihanna Is Reportedly 'Smitten' With Her Billionaire Boyfriend Hassan Jameel". Elle. November 29, 2018.
- "A Complete Timeline of Rihanna and Hassan Jameel’s Romance". Vogue Arabia. July 10, 2018.
- Khan, Fouzia. "SR4.7m worth of artwork sold at auction". Arab News. December 9, 2013.