|Native name||Persian: سيد حسن خمينی|
23 July 1972 |
Hassan Khomeini (born 23 July 1972, Persian: سيد حسن خمينی) is an Iranian cleric. Of Khomeini's 15 grandchildren he has been called "the most prominent" and the one "who many think could have a promising political future."
Hassan Khomeini became a cleric in 1993. He was appointed caretaker of the Mausoleum of Khomeini in 1995 where his grandfather and father are buried, and has had official meetings with officials such as Syrian President Bashar Assad and Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah. He is also teaching in the holy city of Qom, and has published his first book on Islamic sects.
He has been described as having "expressed frustration with some policies of a regime dominated by fundamentalists," such as former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. In an interview in February 2008, Hassan spoke out against military interference in politics. Soon after, in what some observers believe may have been retaliation, an article in a publication tied to President Ahmadinejad accused him of corruption, "claiming that he drove a BMW, backed rich politicians and was indifferent to the suffering of the poor."
This was "the first time in the history of the Islamic Republic" that one of Khomeini's offspring was "publicly insulted," according to the Iranian daily newspaper Kargozaran. Hassan met with reformers before the 2009 election and met with defeated presidential candidate Mir-Hossein Mousavi and "supported his call to cancel the election results."
On 9 December 2015, he announced that he would enter politics and run for the Assembly of Experts in the 2016 election. His nomination was rejected by the Guardian Council on February 10, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hassan Khomeini.|
- Grandchildren of the revolution. Najmeh Bozorgmehr and Roula Khalaf 4 March 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- "Khamenei vs. Khomeini" Ali Reza Eshraghi, 20 August 2009]. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Helia Ighani; Garrett Nada (31 May 2013). "Khomeini's rebel grandchildren rock the vote". Asia Times Online. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Iranians blog on election crisis". BBC News. 17 June 2009. Retrieved 2012. Check date values in:
- Michael Rubin (17 March 2008). "Iran News Round Up". National Review Online. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- hasans childrens
- Hassan Khomeini Meets Bashar, Nasrallah. Retrieved 23-August-2009
- in the weekly magazine Shahrvand-e-Emrooz, quoted in "Khamenei vs. Khomeini" Ali Reza Eshraghi, 20 August 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2009
- Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini’s grandson to enter Iran politics
- Assembly election heats up as Ayatollah Khomeini’s grandson indicates he will stand