Yussuff in 2017
|8th President of the Canadian Labour Congress|
Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Ken Georgetti|
|2nd President of the Trade Union Confederation of the Americas|
Assumed office |
April 20, 2012
|Preceded by||Linda Chavez-Thompson|
|Secretary-Treasurer of the Canadian Labour Congress|
|Succeeded by||Barb Byers|
|Occupation||Heavy truck mechanic, trade unionist|
Hassan Yussuff is a Canadian labour leader and president of the Canadian Labour Congress.
Yussuff emigrated to Canada from Guyana as a young man to work as a heavy truck mechanic and soon found employment on the plant floor of CanCar, an automotive parts manufacturer, in Toronto where he became a member of the Canadian Auto Workers. Within a year, he was elected plant chairperson of Local 252 of the Canadian Auto Workers and later was elected plant chairman of the General Motors Truck Centre. He later served as a staff representative in the organizing and service departments before being appointed as Director of the CAW Human Rights Department. As such, Yussuff joined the CLC’s Executive Council and then co-chaired the CLC Human Rights Committee.
In 1999, he was elected Executive Vice-President of the Canadian Labour Congress and was then elected Secretary-Treasurer in 2002. He remained in that position until 2014 when he challenged incumbent CLC President Ken Georgetti, defeating him by 40 votes at the CLC's May 2014 convention to become CLC president, and the first person to unseat an incumbent CLC president. On April 20, 2012, Yussuff was elected to a four-year term as President of the Trade Union Confederation of the Americas (TUCA).
- "New Canadian Labour Congress chief vows aggressive approach". Globe and Mail. May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Hassan Yussuff (Bio and Stories) :: Parkland Institute". parklandinstitute.ca. Archived from the original on May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Hassan Yussuff | Canadian Labour Congress". canadianlabour.ca. Archived from the original on May 12, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Hassan Yussuff elected new head of Canadian Labour Congress". Montreal Gazette. May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Hassan Yussuff is new CLC President". Rabble.ca. May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "CLC's Hassan Yussuff to head TUCA: Elected president of hemispheric labour organization". Canadian Labour Congress. April 20, 2012. Archived from the original on May 9, 2014. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Who's running for CLC national executive? | rabble.ca". rabble.ca. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
| President of the Canadian Labour Congress
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hassan Yussuff.|