Banjul, The Gambia
Hassoum Ceesay attended Armitage High School, and Fourah Bay College, University of Sierra Leone. He continued to Canada's Saint Mary's University, in the Nova Scotia capital of Halifax, where he gained a Bachelor of Arts in history in 1999. He was the features editor at The Daily Observer newspaper in Banjul and editorial writer from 1999 to 2006. He was curator of The Gambia National Museum from 1999 to 2008, curating numerous art and ethnography exhibitions. He gained a Post Graduate Diploma in Museum Studies from the University of Nairobi, Kenya, in 2003. From January 2008 to August 2008 he was Deputy Permanent Secretary and Director of the Press Office for President Jammeh. In 2009 he gained a MA in African History from the University of the Gambia. In 2010 he was Lead Researcher on a UNESCO study of cultural rights in the Gambia. He is currently Director of the Copyright office, The Gambia. Hassoum is credited for the establishment of the newly created Copyright Collecting Society of The Gambia.
Hassoum Ceesay is a well-known face on Gambian television, where he frequently speaks on history topics and issues.
- Gambian Women: an Introductory History, Fulladu Publishers, Banjul 2007. 135 pages. First, Second, Third and Fourth editions.
- (Co-author) Ceremonies of The Gambia, 2004, 100 pages
Patriots: profiles of eminent Gambians, Global Hands Publishing, Leicester, UK, 2016.
- Gambian Women: Profiles and Historical Notes, Fulladu Publishers, 2011, ISBN 998399264-7, 120 pages.
- (Co-editor) A Guide to Historic Sites and Monuments: Sites of The Gambia (Fulladu Publishers, 2012) ISBN 978 9983 95 574 3
- Contributing scholar on: ‘Dr Florence Mahoney’; ‘Fatou Khan’; ‘Louise N'Jie’; Sally Njie’; ‘Fatou Bensouda’ in Dictionary of African Biography, edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Emmanuel K. Akyeampong, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Contributing scholar on : 'Ada Beigh'; 'Hannah Mahoney'; 'Wilfred Davidson Carrol'; 'Matarr Ceesay'; 'Mama Tamba Jammeh'; John Colley Faye'; 'Cecelia Mary Ruth Cole'; 'Momodou Musa Njie'; 'Kemintang'; 'Marion Foon'; 'Maryann Gabbidon'; in 'Oxford African American Studies Centre: The Online authority on the African American Experience, edited by Ed.
Articles and Book chapters
- Hassoum Ceesay, 'Conservation at the Katchikally Crocodile Pool', Africa 2009 Bulletin, 2001
- Hassoum Ceesay, 'A character construction of Gabriel Roberts' Trial of Busumbala in New Ndaanan, University of The Gambia Journal, January 2009, p. 26-29
- Hassoum Ceesay, Noegletek es tarsadami fejlodes Bathurstben, Gambia 1925–1965 (Hungarian) (Women and Social Development in Bathurst, Gambia 1925–1965) in AFRIKA TANULMANYOK, 2011 V. P.98-111, Journal of the Hungarian African Studies.
- , Hassoum CeesayCo-author 'Wild Oysters, Female harvesters, and Mangrove Forests of The Gambia' in State and Society in The Gambia, edited by Abdoulaye Saine et al., Africa World Press, 2012.
- Hassoum Ceesay, Chief and Protectorate Administration in The Gambia:1894-1965’ in Leadership in Colonial Africa, Baba G. Jallow(ed), Palgrave-Macmillan, 2014.
Hassoum Ceesay, *The Impact of the Crises on Institutions in Guinea Bissau and the Sub-Region’ in Patrick Chabal and Toby Green(eds), Guinea Bissau: from micro state to 'narco-state', Oxford University Press, and Hurst, London, 2015
o Hassoum Ceesay, ‘Chiefs and the Management of Urbanization in Colonial Bathurst, Gambia 1939-1960’, Journal of Mande Studies, (Indiana University Press) Vol.18, 2017.
o Hassoum Ceesay, Book Review of Jeggan Senghor: the Reverend John Colley Faye. A biography,AuthorHouse, in SOAS Bulletin, (Cambridge University Press)London, February 2016.
o Hassoum Ceesay, Book Review of David Perfect, Historical Dictionary of The Gambia(fifth edition), Rowan & Littlefield, 2016 in Journal of Global South Studies, (University of Florida Press), Fall 2016.https://muse.jhu.edu/article/659147
o Hassoum Ceesay, Book Review of Gendered Voices in Gambian Literature, Pierre Gomez &Isatou Gomez, Global Hands Publishing, Leicester, UK in Research In African Literatures, (Indiana University Press) Vol. 47, No 4 Winter 2017.https://muse.jhu.edu/article/648529
o Hassoum Ceesay, ‘Pierre Sarr N’jie(1909-1993)’ in Jeggan Senghor(ed.) Profiles of Gambian Political Leaders in the Decolonization Era, p146-218, Global Hands Publishing, Leicester , UK, 2017.
0 Hassoum Ceesay, 'Gambia, The,’ The SAGE International Encyclopedia of Travel and Tourism, Edited by: Linda L. Lowry, pages 504-505, 2017, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781483368924.n190,http://sk.sagepub.com
- http://wwww.oxfordaasc.com/article/opr/t356/eoo45(accessed fri.Feb.14 14:23 EST 2014