Gloriavale Christian Community
Gloriavale Christian Community is a private commune based 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south of Lake Haupiri. Established in 1990 when its members relocated from Springbank Christian Community in North Canterbury, the community of over 500 members operates a number of commercial enterprises on the large land-holding surrounding its base. The Gloriavale organisation has attracted controversy through the notoriety of its leader, Neville Cooper, subsequently known as Hopeful Christian (died 2018), who had convictions for sexual assault of community members, and its categorisation by some within the wider Christian community as a religious cult.
- Peter Dowling (editor) (2004). Reed New Zealand Atlas. Reed Books. pp. map 70. ISBN 0-7900-0952-8.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Roger Smith, GeographX (2005). The Geographic Atlas of New Zealand. Robbie Burton. pp. map 158. ISBN 1-877333-20-4.
- 2013 Census QuickStats about a place : Haupiri
- Small, Jamie (29 August 2016). "Religious groups like Gloriavale block West Coast from hitting immunisation targets". Stuff.
- Sensible Sentencing Trust - database
- cults.co.nz - Cooperites