Hauser & Wirth
|Type||Art Gallery, Modern Art, Contemporary Art|
Hauser & Wirth was founded by Iwan Wirth, Manuela Wirth, and Ursula Hauser in 1992. The first space was opened in Zurich. In this location, the gallery now has three exhibition spaces, located in the former Löwenbräu Zürich brewery building. In 2003, the gallery opened a branch in London, housed in a bank building designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. It has held exhibitions curated by Paul Schimmel. A New York City branch was opened in 2009 on East 69th Street with its opening exhibition showing a re-creation of the work by Allan Kaprow. A second New York space was opened in 2013. That year the gallery released a book on its history, Hauser & Wirth: 20 Years, authored by Michaela Unterdörfer.
In 2014 an additional branch of the gallery opened in the UK near Bruton in Somerset. In March 2016 the gallery opened a branch in Los Angeles, California, and in March 2018 it opened a branch in Hong Kong.
- Andrew Russeth (September 17, 2018). "To the Mountains! Hauser & Wirth Will Open Gallery in St. Moritz, Switzerland". Art News.
- Rachel Spence (13 June 2017). Zurich Art Weekend 2017: wild swimming and well-mannered art. The Financial Times. Accessed March 2018.
- Georgina Adam (27 February 2010). Hauser & Wirth’s latest expansion. Financial Times. Archived 22 June 2016.
- Adrian Searle (4 November 2003). Not suitable for children. Or adults. The Guardian. Accessed August 2018.
- "Hauser & Wirth shows fine works from the Onnasch collection". Financial Times. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Johnson, Ken (September 9, 2009). "Changing Un-Art's Tires". New York Times. p. AR82. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Douglas, Saara (January 26, 2012). "Hauser & Wirth to Open 23,000-Square-Foot Space on West 18th Street, in Chelsea". New York Observer. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Smith, Roberta (February 7, 2013). "Large Visions in a Large Space – 'Dieter Roth. Björn Roth' at Hauser & Wirth". New York Times. p. C25. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Spear's Book Awards 2013. Spear's. Archived 21 June 2014.
- Michaela Unterdörfer (2013). Hauser & Wirth: 20 Years. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz. ISBN 9783775735124.
- Brown, Mark (July 11, 2014). "Gallery in a Somerset farmyard is a slow lane in the art world rat race". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Art gallery Hauser & Wirth sets up a space in a Somerset farm". Financial Times. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Lynes, Andy (October 21, 2014). "The 25 best places for brunch". The Times. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Christopher Knight (10 March 2016). The radical and politically potent opening show at DTLA's new Hauser Wirth & Schimmel. Los Angeles Times. Accessed March 2018.
- Melanie Gerlis (23 March 2018). H Queen's: the gallery space Hong Kong was waiting for. The Financial Times. Accessed March 2018.