||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2015)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2015)|
Havelock Island, with an area of 113.93 km2, is the largest of the islands that comprise Ritchie's Archipelago, a chain of islands to the east of Great Andaman in the Andaman Islands. Havelock is situated 57 km north east of the capital city Port Blair. The population numbered 5,354 as of the 2001 census.
The island is named after a British General, Henry Havelock who served in India. The island's current population consists of mainly Bengali settlers. Many of these settlers have Bangladeshi origin as these people were given settlement by the Indian government after the 1971 war between India and Pakistan.
It is one of the few places that the administration of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands union territory of India has permitted and encouraged development of tourism, with a focus on promoting eco-tourism.
Beach No. 7 on the western coast, better known as "Radha Nagar" Beach, is one of the most popular beaches on Havelock and was named "Best Beach in Asia" by Time in 2004. Other notable beaches include Elephant Beach on the northwest coast and Vijaynagar Beach (No. 5), Beach No. 3 and Beach No. 1 on the east coast. Kalapathar is another famous beach for a pit stop.
One can go snorkeling at Elephant Beach at Havelock Island. It is one of the most preferred snorkeling destinations after Jolly Bouy island in Port Blair.
Havelock Island has become a destination for honeymooners. The island has a lot of resorts by the beach to cater to the tourist, one of the most famous being the Symphony Palms Beach Resort located at Govindnagar Beach, Sea Shell Resort and Munjoh Ocean resort.
- Government Ferry - Operates all throughout the year
- Makruzz - Does not operate from May to August
- Coastal Cruise - Does not operate from May to August
- Express Bhagya - This is the most recent one. It is yet known whether it operates during all seasons.
- Sea Walk - Gives you an experience of underwater sea walk. The activity is available at Elephant Beach, Havelock Island. It costs 3200 Rupees and around 950 Rupees  to reach Elephant Beach.
- Scuba Diving - This is the most available activity in the Andaman Islands. Many Scuba Diving companies offer varied kinds of courses, with certified diving available for both PADI and SSI. For beginners, there are beginner's diving courses from 30–60 minutes underwater and for advanced divers there are certification courses. You may refer  for all beginner and advanced diving courses and local prices in Havelock Island. Advanced SCUBA diving in Andaman Islands video  showcases the underwater reef of Havelock Island as well as other activities and experiences.
- Snorkeling - available at Elephant Beach
- Fishing and trips to uninhabited islands - These are new trips that are becoming more popular in Havelock Island and Port Blair. You can either go on a fishing trip or can just go around the Virgin Islands. Boats and off-beat trips are provided by a few companies in Andaman Islands. Fishing/boat trips in Black Marlin around Havelock can be referred at 
- V Knot Residency
- Cross Bill beach Resort
- Island Vinnie Tropical beach Cabanna
- El Dorado
- Emerald Gecko
All local island hotels and resorts can be found at 
Helpdesk and tips
Trips preferred by Travelers This island is mostly visited for 2 nights and 3 days by people coming on short trips for 5 nights or 6 nights to the Andamans. However, some prefer to extend their trip to a week or more. For 2 nights and 3 days trip you can do the following:
- Day 1 - Reach Havelock Island and visit Radhangar Beach Sunset
- Day 2 - Go for snorkeling trip to Elephant beach. At Elephant beach stationed Sea Walk boat is present, you may avail that activity as well. You can also change the trip to both Scuba Diving and Elephant beach trip.
- Day 3 - You may go to Kalapathar beach or just spend the day at leisure. Note that you may have to check out your hotel and spend the day outside as the return ferry from Havelock starts from 3:00 pm onward.
For people extending their trip for more number of days can mix and match the about mentioned tour suggestion to best fit your requirements. Long duration travelers can take certified Scuba diving courses. Fishing trips also takes place around Havelock Island. You may contact local travel agencies to help you with your trip planning.
Things to Know
- Make sure you carry sunscreen lotion.
- All water activities are subject to weather conditions
- Sea walk is closed during Off Season
- Scuba Diving is operational all throughout the year.
- Elephant Beach snorkeling trips may be closed from June–August
More from Havelock Island Guide 
The five villages are Govinda Nagar, Bejoy Nagar, Shyam Nagar, Krishna Nagar and Radha Nagar.
Tourists should be aware, fatal crocodile attacks have occurred on the island. In 2010 an American tourist was taken while snorkeling. Later the crocodile was captured by the Andaman forest department and was sent to a zoo.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Havelock Island.|
- Havelock Island travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Havelock Island Andaman Photographs as on September 2010
|This Andaman and Nicobar Islands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|