|Native name: हैवलॉक द्वीप
Nickname: Sir Henry Havelock Island 
|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||92.2 km2 (35.6 sq mi)|
|Length||18 km (11.2 mi)|
|Width||8 km (5 mi)|
|Coastline||58.5 km (36.35 mi)|
|Highest elevation||167 m (548 ft)|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Island sub-group||Mohammed Thoufeeq|
|Tehsil||Port Blair Tehsil|
|Largest settlement||Govinda Nagar|
|Population||6,351 (2011)|
|Pop. density||68.5 /km2 (177.4 /sq mi)|
|Telephone code||031928 |
|Avg. summer temperature||30.2 °C (86.4 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.0 °C (73.4 °F)|
|Official languages||Hindi, English|
Havelock Island (Hindi: हैवलॉक द्वीप) is the largest of the islands that comprise a chain of islands to the east of Great Andaman in the Andaman Islands. It belongs to the South Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The island is 41 km (25 mi) northeast of the capital city, Port Blair.
Havelock is one of the few places that the administration of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands union territory of India has permitted and encouraged development of tourism, with a focus on promoting eco-tourism.
The island's current[when?] population of 6,351 consists of mainly Bengali settlers. Many of these settlers have Bangladeshi origin as these people were given settlement by the Indian government after the 1971 war between India and Pakistan.
The six villages are:
- Govinda Nagar 2,940
- Vejoy Nagar (inc. Kalapathar) 1,099
- Shyam Nagar 856
- Krishna Nagar 719
- Radha Nagar 637
- Road between Shyam Nagar and Krishna Nagar 100
Radhanagar Beach on the western coast, also known as Number 7 Beach, is one of the most popular beaches on Havelock and was named "Best Beach in Asia" by Time in 2004. Other notable beaches include Elephant Beach on the northwest coast and Vijay Nagar Beach (No. 5), Beach No. 3 and Beach No. 1 on the east coast. Kalapathar is another famous beach.
A local bus connects the jetty and villages on an hourly circuit.
- area info
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Archived from the original on 23 March 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Village Code Directory: Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). Census of India. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- Llewellyn-Jones, Rosie (2007). The Great Uprising in India, 1857-58: Untold Stories, Indian and British. Boydell & Brewer. p. 168. ISBN 978-1-84383-304-8.
- "Narcondam Island". Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "DEMOGRAPHIC – A&N ISLANDS" (PDF). andssw1.and.nic.in. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- http://www.time.com/time/asia/2004/boa/boa_soul_andaman.html[dead link]
- beaches map
- Another beach poll
- A & N Administration. "Ferry Program for Neil, Havelock & Rangat". Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Sanjib Kumar Roy. "Makruzz Ferry services to Neil Island via Havelock". Andaman Sheekha. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Coastal Cruise
- A & N Administration. "Helicopter Inter Island Schedule". Retrieved 15 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Havelock Island.|