|Hawaii–Aleutian Time Zone|
|05:27, 29 November 2023 HST|
|Observance of DST|
|DST is observed in some of this time zone.|
The Hawaii–Aleutian Time Zone observes Hawaii–Aleutian Standard Time (HST) by subtracting ten hours from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC−10:00). The clock time in this zone is based on the mean solar time of the 150th meridian west of the Greenwich Observatory.
During daylight saving time (DST), the Alaskan portion observes Hawaii–Aleutian Daylight Time (HDT, UTC−09:00), while Hawaii stays on standard time. Hawaii has not observed daylight saving time since September 1945.
French Polynesia uses UTC−10:00 for its major cities. The Cook Islands also use the same time. These areas do not use DST. "Hawaii–Aleutian Time Zone" is a U.S. term and for that reason the Polynesian areas are not considered to be a part of the Hawaii–Aleutian Time Zone.
The largest city and metropolitan area in the Hawaii–Aleutian Time Zone are Honolulu and its metropolitan area, respectively.
Major metropolitan areas
Other significant places
- "U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual: An official guide to the form and style of Federal Government printing" (PDF). U.S. Government Printing Office. 2008. p. 234. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
Time zones §9.47. The following forms are to be used when abbreviating names of time zones: ... HDT—Hawaii-Aleutian daylight time (not observed in HI) ... HST—Hawaii-Aleutian standard time
- "What are the time zones in the United States?". NIST. National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Commerce. 2016. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
Hawaii-Aleutian (HT); HST -10; HDT -9; DST observed in Aleutian Islands, but not Hawaii
- "Daylight Saving Time 2021 in Hawaii, United States". www.timeanddate.com. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- "Sources for Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time Data". Archived from the original on June 23, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Current Local Time in Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia". www.timeanddate.com. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- "Time Zones in Cook Islands". www.timeanddate.com. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- HST – Hawaii–Aleutian Standard Time
- HDT – Hawaii–Aleutian Daylight Time
- The official U.S. time for the Hawaii–Aleutian time zone (Hawaii) dead link
- The official U.S. time for the Hawaii–Aleutian time zone (Aleutian Islands) dead link
- What are the time zones in the United States? (NIST)
- Hawaiian-Aleutian zone at Cornell