Hawaiian tropical low shrublands
|Hawaiian tropical low shrublands|
|Biome||Tropical and subtropical grasslands, savannas, and shrublands|
|Borders||Hawaiian tropical dry forests|
|Country||United States (Hawaii)|
The Hawaiian tropical low shrublands are a tropical savanna ecoregion in the Hawaiian Islands. These shrublands cover an area of 1,500 km2 (580 sq mi) in the leeward lowlands of the main islands and most of the smaller islands, including the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. The ecoregion includes both grasslands and mixed shrublands. Kāwelu (Eragrostis variabilis), mauʻu ʻakiʻaki (Fimbristylis cymosa), ʻakiʻaki (Sporobolus virginicus), and Lepturus repens are common grassland plants. Shrublands are dominated by ʻilima (Sida fallax), ʻaʻaliʻi (Dodonaea viscosa), naupaka (Scaevola spp.), hinahina kū kahakai (Heliotropium anomalum var. argenteum), kīpūkai (Heliotropium curassavicum), maʻo (Gossypium tomentosum), ʻakoko (Euphorbia spp.), ʻāheahea (Chenopodium oahuense), naio (Myoporum sandwicense), kolokolo kahakai (Vitex rotundifolia), and pūkiawe (Styphelia tameiameiae). More than 90% of the plant species found in this ecoregion are endemic, including ʻōhai (Sesbania tomentosa), ʻāwiwi (Schenkia sebaeoides), and wahine noho kula (Isodendrion pyrifolium).
- Flora of Hawaii
- Hawaiian tropical high shrublands
- List of ecoregions in the United States (WWF)
- Oceania ecozone
- Tropical and subtropical grasslands, savannas, and shrublands ecoregions
- "Hawaii tropical low shrublands". Bioimages. Vanderbilt University. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- "Hawaii tropical low shrublands". Terrestrial Ecoregions. World Wildlife Fund. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- Olson, David M.; Eric Dinerstein (2002). "The Global 200: Priority Ecoregions for Global Conservation" (PDF). Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden. 89: 199–224. doi:10.2307/3298564.
- World Wildlife Fund (2001). "Hawaii tropical low shrublands". WildWorld Ecoregion Profile. National Geographic Society. Archived from the original on 2010-03-08. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- "Wahine noho kula Isodendrion pyrifolium" (PDF). Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy. Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
|Hawaiian tropical high shrublands||Hawaiʻi|
|Hawaiian tropical low shrublands||Hawaiʻi|
|Northwestern Hawaii scrub||Hawaiʻi|
|This ecoregion article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hawaiʻi state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|