Hawes Township, Michigan
|Hawes Township, Michigan|
|• Total||71.4 sq mi (185.0 km2)|
|• Land||70.0 sq mi (181.2 km2)|
|• Water||1.5 sq mi (3.8 km2)|
|Elevation||889 ft (271 m)|
|• Density||16/sq mi (6.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626451|
- Barton City is an unincorporated community located at in the southwest portion of the township. Most of the community is within the northwest portion of Millen Township.
- Hubbard Lake is a census-designated place (CDP) and unincorporated community located at within the northwest portion of the township. Hubbard Lake is also within Alcona Township.
- Lincoln is a village located at within the southeast portion of the township. Lincoln is also located within Gustin Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 71.4 square miles (185.0 km2), of which 70.0 square miles (181.2 km2) is land and 1.5 square miles (3.8 km2), or 2.07%, is water.
|Source: Census Bureau. Census 1960- 2000, 2010.|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,167 people, 528 households, and 353 families residing in the township. The population density was 16.7 per square mile (6.4/km²). There were 1,003 housing units at an average density of 14.3 per square mile (5.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.71% White, 0.17% African American, 0.69% Native American, and 0.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
There were 528 households out of which 21.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.3% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.0% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.64.
In the township the population was spread out with 19.6% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 23.5% from 25 to 44, 32.0% from 45 to 64, and 21.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $28,938, and the median income for a family was $36,736. Males had a median income of $31,346 versus $21,538 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,332. About 10.0% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.8% of those under age 18 and 4.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hawes Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hawes township, Alcona County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 4, 2013.