Hawthorn, Rhondda Cynon Taf
|Population||3,588 (2011 Ward)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Hawthorn (Welsh: Y Ddraenen Wen) is a village and electoral ward within the community of the town of Pontypridd in the County Borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf, located 10 miles north west of Cardiff, the capital city of Wales. Historically this fell within the parish of Eglwysilan within Mid Glamorgan.
Hawthorn also forms an electoral ward comprising the settlements of Lower Rhydyfelin and Upper Boat. It elects a county councillor to sit on Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council, with Martin Fidler Jones elected in 2017 for Labour.
Initial proposals for a 2018 review of electoral arrangements by RCT Council as part of the Local Democracy and Boundary Commission for Wales review into electoral arrangements for RCT Council would see the existing Hawthorn ward reduced in size with a new ward created from elements of the neighbouring Rhydfelen Central ward which would equally be reduced in size - creating 3 wards on the footprint of the existing two. The proposals are under consideration by Local Democracy and Boundary Commission for Wales, along with submissions from the public. Any chances would take effect from the 2022 council elections.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Hawthorn high School inspection report" (PDF). Retrieved 3 July 2008.
- County Borough Council Elections 2017, Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Anthony Lewis (30 August 2018). "The number of electoral council wards in Rhondda Cynon Taf could be cut for 2022 election". Wales Online. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- Hawthorn Ward, Pontypridd Town Council website. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Rhydefelin Lower Ward, Pontypridd Town Council website. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Hawthorn High School 
- Hawthorn Leisure Center http://www2.rctcbc.gov.uk/en/leisure/findacentre/hawthornleisurecentre/hawthornleisurecentre.aspx
|This Rhondda Cynon Taf location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|