Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
|Hawthorn Woods, Illinois|
|Area||7.92 sq mi (21 km2)|
|- land||7.71 sq mi (20 km2)|
|- water||0.22 sq mi (1 km2)|
|Density||968/sq mi (374/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Hawthorn Woods, Illinois|
Hawthorn Woods is an affluent village in the Fremont and Ela townships of Lake County, Illinois, United States. The population was 7,663 at the 2010 census. The village is located approximately 40 miles (64 km) northwest of downtown Chicago. It was officially incorporated in 1958. Major transportation arteries include Midlothian Road, Old McHenry Road, Gilmer Road, and the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railway. The new Hawthorn Woods Country Club, whose golf course was designed by golf professional Arnold Palmer, is located within the village's perimeter.
Hawthorn Woods is located at (42.228306, -88.055319).
According to the 2010 census, Hawthorn Woods has a total area of 7.926 square miles (20.53 km2), of which 7.71 square miles (19.97 km2) (or 97.27%) is land and 0.216 square miles (0.56 km2) (or 2.73%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there are 7,663 people, 2,560 households in the village. The population density was 1,119.9 people per square mile (432.3/km²). There were 1,848 housing units at an average density of 344.8 per square mile (133.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 94.55% White, 0.07 African American, 0.02% Native American, 3.10% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.57% from other races, and 1.00% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.07% of the population.
There were 1,831 households out of which 55.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 89.2% were married couples living together, 3.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 6.7% were non-families. 4.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.28 and the average family size was 3.39.
In the village, the population was spread out with 33.6% under the age of 18, 4.6% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 29.1% from 45 to 64, and 4.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $132,720, and the median income for a family was $134,034. Males had a median income of $100,000+ versus $55,156 for females. The per capita income for the village was $49,346. About 2.1% of families and 1.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.4% of those under age 18 and 5.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Dominick Basso, Chicago mobster
- Anthony Castonzo, pro football player
- Nancy Faust, former Chicago White Sox organist
- Anthony Costanzo Professional Football Player for the Indianapolis Colts
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hawthorn Woods village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.