Hawthorne Bomb Plot
|Hawthorne Bomb Plot|
|Navy Fallon RBS:12|
Near Hawthorne, Nevada
Map of Babbitt, with the station to the east
|Operator||United States Air Force|
|Unknown-1966 Lt Col Hollacher
1966-Unknown Lt Col McHan
Hawthorne Bomb Plot is a Formerly Used Defense Site that had a Strategic Air Command (SAC) AUTOTRACK radar station during the Cold War. Operations began at a temporary RBS train site[specify] for RBS Express #2 was at the Hawthorne area in December 1961, and the 11th Radar Bomb Scoring Squadron subsequently established the fixed military installation for Radar Bomb Scoring in Babbitt, Nevada, the military housing community near the local Navy/Army[specify] depot.
Detachment 12 operated and maintained the radars, e.g., c. 1977-2000, Reeves AN/MSQ-77 Bomb Directing Central (serial number 10) was at the Hawthorne Bomb Plot after use for Guam RBS and Vietnam Combat Skyspot bombing. The unit was reassigned to 1CEVG's RBS Division in 1966 and tracked training sorties at the Nellis Air Force Range (e.g., during the Vietnam War) and scored SAC bombers. Hawthorne's Oil Burner route ("OB-10 Hawthorne") for SAC low-level bomber flights extended from a "point west of Elko, Nevada, running southwest to Nuna, Nevada" at flight level "FL130-140" (the Tonopah "SAC Targets 1 and 2" were at South Antelope Lake.)
The USAF detachment publicized their 1985 move to the Havre Radar Bomb Scoring Site, but the Hawthorne radar station was still used by NAS Fallon in 1993, and the Whiskey Flats RV park was established in the general location of the former radar station in 2004.
|11th RBS site images|
|nearby SAC 1 & 2 Target area (p. 12)|
- "Combat Evaluation Group - A place for CEVG'ers and Range Rats to Meet" (Yahoo newsgroup). "Founded: Jan. 9, 2000". Check date values in:
|date=(help); Citations in chronological order:
12. [who?] ([when?]). "title?". Check date values in:
|date=(help) (Google webcache of Message 12308 retrieved 2013-05-01) 43. [who?] ([when?]). "title?". Check date values in:
|date=(help) (Google webcache of Message 43382 retrieved 2013-05-01)
- "Young Men To Enter Academies". Mineral County Independent News. June 22, 1966. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
Lt. Col. … Hollacher has been in command of the SAC Radar Bomb Scoring unit located in Babbitt.
- "Hawthorne "Bombed" Daily". Nevada State Journal. December 14, 1961. Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- [verification needed]Babbitt, NV Historical Calendar (photograph), Hawthorne Ordnance Museum: Mineral County Museum, 2007 (printed 2006) Check date values in:
- Murphy, Shane (July 3, 2006). "Re: New member looking for information" (1CEVG newsgroup posting). Groups.Yahoo.com (message 23682). Retrieved 2012-07-11.
around 1972/1973? There was a plaque in the Day room about the Day and year the site was commissioned in Guam, w/ the original crew members names. …on the very Northern tip of the Island. Not sure why it was moved [to a 2nd Guam site.] the AN/MSQ-77 was shipped direct from Vietnam to Guam.External link in
- [dead link]Proposed IAO/DTE Resource Availability (PDF) (Report). c. 1970. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
OB-10-Hawthorne: A point west of Elko, Nevada, running southwest to Nuna, Nevada FL130-140)
- Closure Report for Corrective Action Unit 408: Bomblet Target Area Tonopah Test Range (TTR), Nevada (PDF) (Report). DOE/NV--1409. Nevada Environmental Restoration Project. September 2010. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
SAC I & II Targets contained forty-five (45) 100m x 100m grids. … the boundary for the SAC Target locations encompassed an area of approximately 72 acres
- Tonopah Test Range…Corrective Action Sites (Report). DOE/NV/25946--1036.
CAS TA-55-002-TAB2 (Bomblet Target Areas) consists of six separate locations [that] include Mid Target, BLU-63 area, SAC Target, South Antelope Lake, and Tomahawk Targets 1 and 2 … CAS RG-52-007-TAML (Davis Gun Penetrator Test) consists of Davis Gun testing locations on Antelope, Brownes, Pedro, and Main Lakes, and Antelope Tuff 1, Antelope Tuff 2, Sidewinder Tuff, Myers Ridge, and Mt Helen (Nellis Range 75). The only location with land use restrictions is Antelope Lake.(for SAC Targets 1 and 2, see DOE/NV--1409)
- "Air Force Group Bids Farewell to Hawthorne" (Google News Archive). Mineral County Independent-News. May 29, 1985. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
…the majority of the personnel will be moving with the radar equipment to Havre, Montana.cf. Baker RBS Site (MT89799F06160), Forsythe RBS Site (FUDS B08MT0282), Poplar RBS Site (MT89799F0660001), & Wibaux RBS Site (MT89799F07020)
- [who?] ([when?]). "title?" (1CEVG newsgroup posting). Groups.Yahoo.com (message 12650). Retrieved 2013-05-01. Check date values in:
|date=(help); External link in
- "Babbitt (13)" (caption for town photograph). flickr. Retrieved 2012-07-08.