Hawthorne High School (Hawthorne, California)
|Hawthorne High School|
|4859 W. El Segundo Blvd.
|Motto||Mens sana in corpore sano
A sound mind in a sound body
|Enrollment||2,903 (2004–2005) |
|Scarlet and Gold
Hawthorne High School is a public High school located in Hawthorne, California, within the Centinela Valley Union High School District. It opened in 1951 with 9th and 10th grades. The first graduating senior class was that of 1954. It is most notable for its association with The Beach Boys, whose original members Brian, Carl, Dennis Wilson, and Al Jardine attended the school. Coincidentally, Olivia Trinidad Arias, who later became Olivia Harrison (George Harrison’s wife), also attended; she graduated in 1965.
- Ron Mix, San Diego Chargers and NFL Hall Of Famer
- Scott Laidlaw, Running Back, Stanford, Dallas Cowboys
- Mike Scott, Pitcher New York Mets, Houston Astros (1986 Cy Young Award Winner)
- Curtis Conway, Wide Receiver, Chicago Bears, San Diego Chargers
- Michael Marsh, 1992 Olympic Gold Medalist, 200 Meters, 4 x 100 Meter relay
- Henry Thomas Youth record sprinter
- Mark Lee, 70's Relief Pitcher for the San Diego Padres Major League team
- Cameron Stephenson, Offensive Lineman for the Green Bay Packers
- Carl Boenish, U.S Parachuting Association Achievement award winner
- Adimchinobi Echemandu, running back for the Oakland Raiders
- April Jace, Former Wife of Michael Jace
- Treamelle Taylor, Canadian Football League player
- Mike Colbern, Catcher Chicago White Sox
- The Beach Boys - Brian Wilson / Al Jardine / Dennis Wilson / Carl Wilson / David Marks
- Emitt Rhodes multi-instrumentalist singer/songwriter
- Pigeon John
- Chris Montez
- Jeff McDonald and brother Steve McDonald founding members of Redd Kross
- Greg Hetson of Bad Religion
- Tyler, the Creator
- Casey Veggies
- Olivia Harrison née Olivia Trinidad Arias - widow of Beatle George Harrison (Class of 1965)
- Ted Coombs - World record breaking roller skater (Class of 1972)
The school has dealt with issues of race- related as well as gang-related fighting on campus in the past. In March 2007, gang-related fighting during lunchtime resulted in police officers from several law enforcement agencies entering the school with riot helmets and pepper spray. The school was subsequently shut down for the remainder of the day. Other gang-related issues continue to plague the school with sporadic on-campus fighting more recently.
- "California State Meet Results - 1915 to present". Hank Lawson. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- "Hawthorne High quiet after brawl". latimes.com. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Hawthorne Police meet with Tongan Community at Dinner". dailybreeze.com. Retrieved 2014-08-23.