|Date of birth||April 10, 1985|
|Place of birth||Penrith, Australia|
|Height||2 m (6 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||116 kg (18.3 st; 256 lb) |
|School||Blue Mountains Grammar School|
|Rugby union career|
|Years||Club / team|
|Professional / senior clubs|
|Years||Club / team||Caps||(points)|
|correct as of 23 March 2015.|
|Years||Club / team||Caps||(points)|
|correct as of 2 November 2014.|
|Date of birth:||April 10, 1985|
|Place of birth:||Penrith, NSW, Australia|
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Blue Mountains Grammar|
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at NFL.com|
Hayden Smith (born in April 10, 1985) is a professional rugby union player for Saracens FC in England, and also plays for the United States national rugby union team. Smith also spent two years playing professional American football as a tight end for the New York Jets of the National Football League.
Hayden grew up in the town of Bullaburra in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney, Australia. He graduated from Blue Mountains Grammar School. While training with basketball team Sydney Kings, Hayden won a scholarship to play and study in the United States. He went on to study Finance at the New York Institute of Technology. Hayden transferred to the Metropolitan State University of Denver, Colorado where he completed his degree and moved from basketball to rugby union.
Rugby union (2008–2011)
Smith resumed playing rugby competitively in 2008. Within weeks of starting he played for the All-American Team and following his graduation, had started to play with the Denver Barbarians. Soon after joining the Barbarians, he was named 2008 Rugby All-American.
Smith joined the professional English side Saracens FC in the 2008/09 season on an academy contract. He made his academy debut against Newcastle Falcons in the 2008/09 season. His performances for the academy team Saracens Storm quickly saw him elevated to the first team squad. Smith impressed to earn a first team contract for the following seasons in which he went on to play a total of 43 matches in both the English Premiership and the Heineken Cup.
In international rugby, Smith was a regular with the U.S. national team, for which he qualified on residency grounds. He made his test debut on November 8, 2008 against Uruguay. Smith helped his country qualify for the 2011 Rugby World Cup during which he started all 4 group stage matches for the United States. After the 2011 Rugby World Cup, Smith took a hiatus from rugby.
NFL career (2012–2013)
Smith was looking at the possibility of playing American football in the National Football League and had a workout with the New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins and the New Orleans Saints.
The New York Jets signed Smith on April 3, 2012. He was waived on August 31, 2012. A day later, he was signed to the Jets' practice squad. On October 27, 2012, he was promoted to the active roster from the practice squad. He caught his first and only NFL pass on December 23, 2012. He was released on August 26, 2013.
Return to rugby (2013–present)
On 9th December 2013 it was announced that Hayden had re-signed for Saracens on a long term deal. In January 2014, Smith played his first professional rugby match for Saracens since returning from the NFL. Smith started for Saracens in the 2014-15 Anglo-Welsh Cup Final helping them claim a victory at the death, 23-20 over Exeter Chiefs.
- "Aviva Premiership Rugby - Saracens". web page. Premier Rugby. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Milham, Simon (2 February 2012). "Saracens forward Smith hopes to land NFL deal". Daily Mail (London).
- "Tight end guru sees big things ahead for Hayden Smith". National Football Post.
- Cimini, Rich (3 April 2012). "Rugby star Hayden Smith joins Jets". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 3 April 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- Lange, Randy (31 August 2012). "Final 7 Cuts Announced, Roster’s Now at 53". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Jets Media Relations Department (1 September 2012). "Jets Announce Roster, Practice Squad Moves". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 1 September 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Jets Media Relations Department (27 October 2012). "Hayden Smith Promoted to the Active Roster". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 29 October 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- ESPN (23 December 2012). "Box Score, ESPN, Dec 23,2012". ESPN.
- Cimini, Rich (27 August 2013). "Geno Smith could sit for preseason finale". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 27 August 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Eagles Abroad: Weekend Review". Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "LV= Anglo-Welsh Cup". espnscrum. Retrieved 23 March 2015.