Hayes Township, Charlevoix County, Michigan
|Hayes Township, Michigan|
|• Total||43.2 sq mi (111.8 km2)|
|• Land||30.1 sq mi (77.9 km2)|
|• Water||13.1 sq mi (33.9 km2)|
|Elevation||761 ft (232 m)|
|• Density||64/sq mi (24.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626453|
Hayes Township is located along the shore of Lake Michigan on the south side of the entrance to Little Traverse Bay. The township extends to Lake Charlevoix on its southern border. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 43.2 square miles (111.8 km2), of which 30.1 square miles (77.9 km2) is land and 13.1 square miles (33.9 km2), or 30.29%, is water.
- Bay Shore is a small, unincorporated community on U.S. Highway 31 between Charlevoix and Petoskey.
- Burgess was a sawmill settlement founded in 1877. It had a post office from 1879 until 1904.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,893 people, 767 households, and 578 families residing in the township. The population density was 62.9 per square mile (24.3/km²). There were 1,030 housing units at an average density of 34.2 per square mile (13.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.88% White, 0.05% African American, 2.06% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.26% of the population.
There were 767 households out of which 30.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.4% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.6% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 4.5% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 30.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 99.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $50,478, and the median income for a family was $54,911. Males had a median income of $35,694 versus $26,324 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,512. About 5.3% of families and 6.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.8% of those under age 18 and 2.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hayes Township, Charlevoix County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hayes township, Charlevoix County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Romig 1986, p. 87.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X. ISBN 978-0814318386.