Hayes Township, Clare County, Michigan
|Hayes Township, Michigan|
|• Total||32.2 sq mi (83.3 km2)|
|• Land||31.3 sq mi (81.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,152 ft (351 m)|
|• Density||149/sq mi (57.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48625 (Harrison)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626454|
- Airport Forest is an unincorporated housing development east of Clare County Airport in the northwest part of the township at 
- Allendale is an unincorporated housing development next to the southeast corner of Harrison at 
- Ash Acres is an unincorporated housing development just north of Harrison at 
- Piney Woods is an unincorporated housing development near the northern boundary of the township at 
- The city of Harrison is within the township, but is administratively autonomous. The Harrison ZIP code 48625 serves all of Hayes Township.
Hayes Township is located northeast of the center of Clare County and surrounds the city of Harrison, the county seat. U.S. Highway 127 crosses the township from north to south, with access from Exits 176 and 170.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.2 square miles (83.3 km2), of which 31.3 square miles (81.0 km2) is land and 0.89 square miles (2.3 km2), or 2.75%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,916 people, 2,014 households, and 1,391 families residing in the township. The population density was 156.3 per square mile (60.4/km²). There were 3,898 housing units at an average density of 123.9 per square mile (47.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.36% White, 0.12% African American, 0.79% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.53% from other races, and 1.00% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.40% of the population.
There were 2,014 households out of which 28.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.7% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.9% were non-families. 25.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.5% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 26.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 99.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $26,495, and the median income for a family was $31,343. Males had a median income of $29,755 versus $20,698 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,394. About 16.7% of families and 20.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.1% of those under age 18 and 10.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hayes Township, Clare County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hayes township, Clare County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Airport Forest, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Allendale, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ash Acres, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Piney Woods, Michigan
- 48625 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census