Atwell in 2015
||Hayley Elizabeth Atwell
5 April 1982
London, England, UK
Hayley Elizabeth Atwell (born 5 April 1982) is an American-British actress. She is known for her work in stage productions such as A View from the Bridge, and in films such as Cassandra's Dream (2007), The Duchess (2008), The Pillars of the Earth (2010), and for her portrayal of Peggy Carter in various films and television series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Atwell was born in London and raised in Ladbroke Grove, the only child of Allison (née Cain), a motivational speaker, and Grant Atwell, a massage therapist, photographer, and shaman. Her father is an American, from Kansas City, Missouri, and of part Native American descent, and her mother is British. Her grandmother was Irish. Atwell has dual citizenship of the UK and the US. Her parents separated when she was two years old.
After attending Sion-Manning Roman Catholic Girls' School in London, she took A-levels at the London Oratory School and trained at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, graduating in 2005.
Atwell's first feature film role was in Woody Allen's film Cassandra's Dream (2007), in which she took the part of a stage actress. In 2008, she appeared in the film The Duchess as Bess Foster and the film Brideshead Revisited as Lady Julia Flyte, earning praise and nominations from the British Independent Film Awards and the London Film Critics' Circle Awards.
In January 2009, Atwell made her West End début in Lindsay Posner's revival of A View from the Bridge at the Duke of York's Theatre which earned her a Laurence Olivier Award nomination. Atwell appeared as "415" in AMC Television's November 2009 miniseries, The Prisoner, a remake of the 1967–68 series by the same name. In 2010, she starred as Freya Deverell in the successful Channel 4 adaptation of William Boyd's novel Any Human Heart.
Atwell played Agent Peggy Carter in the 2011 American superhero film Captain America: The First Avenger. MTV Networks' NextMovie.com named her one of the "Breakout Stars to Watch for in 2011". Atwell also voiced Carter in the 2011 video game Captain America: Super Soldier. She reprised the role in the 2013 short film Agent Carter, the 2014 film Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and in the 2015 films Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. As Carter, she also appeared in two episodes of the television show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and as the lead role in Marvel's Agent Carter, which began airing in 2015. She also provided Carter's voice in Lego Marvel's Avengers.
On February 11, 2016 Hayley Atwell signed onto an upcoming series by ABC.
Atwell at the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival
- ^ Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- ^ "Hayley Atwell to star in US series". BelfastTelegraph.co.uk.
- ^ Profile, theguardian.com; accessed 25 May 2015.
- ^ a b c White, Leslie (21 August 2011). "Sizzling for England". Sunday Times (London). p. 6.
a shaman and healer based in Kansas City
- ^ a b c Maureen Paton (27 September 2008). "Hayley confidential: the actress takes Flyte". Daily Mail. Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- ^ Fox, Chloe "Action girl: Hayley Atwell interview" The Telegraph 17 July 2011
- ^ "Hayley Atwell: 'Gentlemen swoon but only on set'", independent.co.uk; accessed 31 May 2015.
- ^ 5 things to know about Hayley Atwell, people.com; accessed 31 May 2015.
- ^ "Hayley Atwell on Twitter". Twitter.
- ^ "Hayley Atwell Brideshead Revisited & The Duchess Interview". femail.com.au. Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- ^ Graduates 2004-05: Hayley Atwell profile, gsmd.ac.uk; accessed 31 May 2015.
- ^ Drew Pisarra (24 July 2008). "Four More Residents of The Village". AMC.
- ^ "Captain America Movie: Peggy Carter Cast". Marvel.com. 14 April 2010. Archived from the original on 4 July 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- ^ Evry, Max (5 January 2011). "25 Breakout Stars to Watch for in 2011". Next Movie. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ Shirey, Eric (29 July 2011). "Captain America: Super Soldier Video Game Review". Yahoo Movies. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- ^ "'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' filming begins". Marvel.com. 8 April 2013. Archived from the original on 8 April 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- ^ Breznican, Anthony (11 July 2013). "'Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter' -- FIRST LOOK at poster and three photos from the new short!". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ^ Flint, Hanna (14 April 2014). "Captain America star Hayley Atwell, 32, looks cool in ice-white as she leaves Oliviers after-party with model beau Evan Jones, 23". Daily Mail. Archived from the original on 17 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- ^ Strom, Marc (10 May 2014). "First Details on Marvel's Agent Carter". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- ^ http://www.geek.com/games/lego-marvels-avengers-bricks-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-1636359/
- ^ Arrant, Chris (February 11, 2016). "HAYLEY ATWELL Signs Onto Another ABC Series -- What Does This Mean for AGENT CARTER?". Newsarama. Retrieved February 11, 2016.