Hayward (BART station)
A view of the Hayward BART station boarding platforms
|Location||699 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541
|Owned by||Bay Area Rapid Transit|
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
AC Transit: Routes 22, 32, 37*, 48*, 60, 83*, 85, 86, 93, 94*, 95, 99, 386** (local); M* (Transbay); 801 (All Nighter)
|Parking||1473 spaces- Monthly Reserved, Daily (free), Extended Weekend (free), and Long Term|
|Bicycle facilities||20 Lockers|
|Opened||September 11, 1972|
|Passengers (FY 2013)||5,131 exits/day 6%|
The Hayward station is a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station that serves the Downtown Hayward area of Hayward, California. It is directly across the street from the rear of Hayward City Hall. The station consists of two side platforms (northbound and southbound) and a free five-level parking garage.
|Northbound||← Richmond–Fremont toward Richmond (Bay Fair)
← Fremont–Daly City toward Daly City (Bay Fair)
|Southbound||→ Richmond–Fremont toward Fremont (South Hayward) →
→ Fremont–Daly City toward Fremont (South Hayward) →
|Mezzanine||One-way faregates, ticket machines, station agent|
Service at the station began on September 11, 1972. In May 2008, an electrical fire caused service to this station to be temporarily disrupted as well as service to the Union City BART and Fremont stations. The fire started at the train maintenance yard near the Hayward station. On October 30, 2010, a man in a wheelchair fell onto the tracks and was hit by a train, dying 2 weeks later from his injuries.
Hayward BART is served by several local AC Transit routes, including the Transbay Route M, which provides service to San Mateo County via the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. Shuttles from California State University, East Bay also provide service to the station. A Greyhound Lines bus stop is located nearby. SamTrans also served the station until 1999.
- Hayward Amtrak Station
- Hayward City Hall
- the main branch of the Hayward Public Library
- the Cinema Place movie theatre complex
- the Hayward Area Historical Society Museum (temporarily closed as of 2011, for a planned move)
- the Green Shutter Hotel historic landmark
- "BART Fiscal Year Weekday Average Exits" (PDF). Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Gordon, Rachel (2 November 2010). "Man in wheelchair hit by BART train". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District Biography, BART.gov, retrieved January 23, 2008
- Media related to Hayward BART station at Wikimedia Commons
- BART - Hayward Station Overview
- BART History