Hayward Unified School District
|Hayward Unified School District|
Building a Culture of Success. All Means All.
|Grades||K-12, adult education|
|Superintendent||Stan "Data" Dobbs|
|Students and staff|
The Hayward Unified School District (HUSD), is a public school district serving the city of Hayward, California, in Alameda County. Supervised by the superintendent, and the HUSD board of trustees, the district serves about 21,000 students in 30 schools, and employing more than 950 teachers. The current superintendent is Stan Dobbs and the current board of trustees president is John Taylor. In 2008, the district passed the Measure I school funding bond, the first bond measure in Hayward in over 45 years. The measure passed with 72% of the vote.
Hayward Education Association
The Hayward Education Association (HEA) is the recognized employee organization for negotiating collective bargaining rights with HUSD. HEA organized a strike in April 2007 against HUSD, the Hayward teachers strike.
The district operates 25 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, and 3 high schools. It also maintains an alternative high school, an English language center, and an adult education center. Many of the park and recreation facilities at the schools are managed by the Hayward Area Recreation and Park District.
- Alternative schools
HUSD operates five middle schools. Anthony W. Ochoa serves west Hayward. Bret Harte serves the Downtown Hayward and northern hills area. Cesar Chavez serves the Fairway Park and southern hills area. Martin Luther King Jr. serves the Mount Eden area. Winton serves the Burbank and Santa Clara neighborhoods.
- East Avenue
- Eden Gardens
- Faith Ringgold School (K-8)
- Lorin A. Eden
- Palma Ceia
- Schafer Park
- John Muir Elementary
- Edwin Markham School closed in June 2009; Faith Ringgold School now occupies its campus.
- Highland Elementary School closed in June 2009
- New Haven Unified School District, with one high school located within Hayward city limits
- California Department of Education,Educational Demographics Unit website
- Hayward Unified School District - Home
- Education Options
- # of Staff by District by Ethnicity - Certificated Staff by Ethnicity for 2009-10
- Hayward Unified School District - School Bond Information
- [dead link]
- "Brenkwitz Alternative High School: Home Page". Bhs-haywardusd-ca.schoolloop.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "obituary Thomas Brenkwitz". Tracy Press. 2011-01-29. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Brenkwitz High - School Directory Details (CA Dept of Education)". Cde.ca.gov. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2013-08-08.