Nelson in 2007.
March 25, 1960 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Khnadya Skye, PhD. (2014)
Diana Ramos (1987–1998)
Sheryl Piland (1981–1984)
Haywood Nelson (born March 25, 1960 in New York City) is an American actor. He is best known for having portrayed Dwayne Nelson on the television series What's Happening!! from 1976–1979, and its spin-off series What's Happening Now!! 1985–1988.
Nelson, who grew up in Garden City Park, Long Island, New York, was a child star, appearing in many national commercials and in a movie, Mixed Company. From 1973 to 1974, he performed on Broadway alongside Marlo Thomas in Thieves. At the age of 14, he guest starred on Sanford and Son as Grady's grandson; at 15, he was in the cast of a spin-off of Sanford and Son called Grady (1975). The show was short-lived. The next year, in 1976, at the age of 16, he landed the role of Dwayne on What's Happening!!, the first African-American teen sitcom. As a "teenage heartthrob" on a popular television series, Nelson was one of the first African-American teen idols. In 1977, Nelson guest starred on Kojak in the episode "The Godson" as Bobby Moore.
Nelson still works in entertainment. He does not work behind the scenes anymore since 2014. In the past,he has worked in talk shows, TV shows and interview programs. Nelson today, is a main point advisor in his current wife's company SKYEWOOD. His wife Khnadya Skye aka Skye Nelson is also listed as Nelson's Attorney at SAG-AFTRA. It is also said that his wife is definitely and directly related to the Royal Family's of Saudi Arabia and Dubai. Which is why Nelson is rarely seen and extremely private nowadays. Nelson hasn't seen or spoken to his former "What's Happening!!" castmates, since 2014. Despite the fact that there are similarities, Nelson and the late Prince Rogers Nelson are not related. Both Nelson and his current wife have been publicly vocal on this subject strongly. Acquantainces yes, but only family of his music and spirit for life. 
|1971–74||As the World Turns||Jerry Smith||Unknown episodes|
|1974||Mixed Company||Freddie||Feature film|
|1975||Sanford and Son||Haywood Marshall||Episode: "The Family Man"|
|1975–76||Grady||Haywood Marshall||Main cast (10 episodes)|
|1976–79||What's Happening!!||Dwayne Nelson||Main cast (65 episodes)|
|1977||Kojak||Bobby Moore||Episode: "The Godson"|
|1977||The Brady Bunch Hour||Dwayne Nelson||Episode #1.8|
|1979||The White Shadow||Randy Judd||Episode: "Sudden Death"|
|1983-84||That Teen Show||Haywood Nelson||Co-host|
|1985–88||What's Happening Now!!||Dwayne Nelson||Main cast (66 episodes)|
|1990||Dragnet||Lyle Peters||Episode: "The Book"|
|2003||Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star||Himself (cameo)||Feature film|
- Byrd, Kenya N. (August 7, 2009). "Flashback Fridays: Haywood Nelson". Essence Magazine. Archived from the original on October 31, 2010.
- Kennedy, James (October 23, 1998). "Haywood You Remember Garden City Park". Mineola American. Archived from the original on 27 March 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Thomas, Marlo (2010). Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny. Hyperion. p. 223. ISBN 9781401323912. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "'What's Happening!!' Cast Reunion". Washington Examiner. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
The former teen idols revealed what it was like to be a part of the first African American teen sitcom
- "Haywood Nelson: Boy Crush". Essence. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
New York native Haywood Nelson, who played Dwayne Nelson on the 70's sitcom favorite What's Happening!!, was the teenage heartthrob of the show.
- Armstrong, Jenice (March 11, 2014). "On the go with Flo Anthony". Philly.com. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
teen heartthrob Haywood Nelson
- Pavan (December 19, 2012). "Seven Questions with Haywood Nelson of What's Happening!!". Sitcoms Online. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Haywood Nelson on IMDb
- Haywood Nelson on the cover of Right On! magazine, February 1977.
- Ebony, Vol. Vol. 33, No. 8 (June 1978), p. 82.
|This article about an American television actor or actress born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|